PHP user Stranded in ASP world! HELP!!!

yeago

Perhaps someone familiar with both ASP and PHP can help me understand some things about how ASP interacts with a SQL2000 database, as well as some syntax translations.

First problem:
[code]
<% if tempCounty <> 0  Then %>
<OPTION VALUE = "<%=tempCounty%>"><%=tempCountyValue%></OPTION>
<%
  end if
  While (NOT rscCountyList.EOF)
%>
<OPTION VALUE="<%=(rscCountyList.Fields.Item("CountyID").Value)%>"><%=(rscCountyList.Fields.Item("County").Value)%></OPTION>
<%
rscCountyList.MoveNext()
Wend
If (rscCountyList.CursorType > 0) Then
    rscCountyList.MoveFirst
Else
   rscCountyList.Requery
  End If
  %>
[/code]

Please, tell me how to make this a simple foreach() in ASP.

[!--quoteo(post=355618:date=Mar 16 2006, 06:40 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 16 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]355618[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
ASP doesn't have a foreach() type function.

What's wrong with the code as-is?
[/quote]

It does in 10 lines what PHP does in 5?

Can you explain to me "Wend" and everything thereafter?

Yes, ASP is very inefficient.

Wend is "While End"... it's like closing a bracket on a while loop in PHP.... and yes, you must include it for one liners.

The if statement basically says "if the cursor (which is nothing more than a pointer in the recordset array) can use the MoveFirst call, do it.... otherwise run the query again to reset it at record 0".

Hope that helps.

[!--quoteo(post=355624:date=Mar 16 2006, 06:56 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 16 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]355624[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The if statement basically says "if the cursor (which is nothing more than a pointer in the recordset array) can use the MoveFirst call, do it.... otherwise run the query again to reset it at record 0".
[/quote]

Break this down once more? =)

I'm very familiar with MySQL/PHP. Put in into those terms?

Thanks

By that do you mean go back through the records?

Also, what's this mean:

<% if tempCounty <> 0 Then %>
<OPTION VALUE = "<%=tempCounty%>"><%=tempCountyValue%></OPTION>
<% end if %>

Or more importantly. Why would it be there (perhaps its just machine generated junk?)

Yeah, like if you needed to reuse the recordset for another control or something.

I think that's just there so that if something was set in another part of the code, that it will be the first selection... although I don't see any "selected" attribute in the option. I'm assuming at this point without seeing more of the code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.