Oracle performance

I am trying to find a database that is faster then MySQL. I don't care about features as long as it has all the features that MySQL does.

Can somebody please tell me if Oracle is faster then MySQL or not? I would like to know this before making a purchase.

Also, my database currently uses a mix of MyISAM and InnoDB tables.. will they work in Oracle? Or will I have to change them to something else? And if so, will it be hard to convert them? Without losing any data?

Oracle runs about $80,000 per processor, per server...it's not exactly affordable.......

As far as performance, as with any program, better hardware will equate to better performance.  Generally speaking, MySQL will perform better for "web" applications than Oracle.  MySQL will perform better on older hardware.

Oracle is an enterprise class, data warehouse capable, extremely redundant and failsafe RDBMS.  MySQL is designed for smaller datasets (< 20M rows and 20-30 GB) in my experience.  Oracle, I've yet to hit a limit, aside from physical storage.

• 7 months later...

mysql is fast if you turn on all the optimistations and have a read only isam tablespace

MySQL is fast for small implementations with the default configuration.  If you know how to tune the database, which isn't all that difficult and there is a ton of information on the internet, then you can make MySQL very fast for nearly any implementation...including a transactional environment.

The key is knowing which engine to use for what.  MyISAM is better for read heavy environments...this is because it uses a table level lock system.  InnoDB is better at write heavy tasks...it uses a row level lock mechanism.  If you need ACID compliance, then InnoDB is your only choice.

There are a lot of other differences between the storage engines, however MySQL is not nearly as complicated as Oracle.

it is pretty useless for a transactional database.

That's because MyISAM isn't a transactional database engine.  InnoDB, and in version 6 Falcon, are MySQL's ACID safe engines.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.