[SOLVED] PHP "->" What does that mean?

Garath531

Yeah, in alot of languages most properties or functions are accessed using ., rather than -> but it's the same thing.

Like if you create a class, and a function within the class.

Let's assume the class is called test_class and the function test_function.

Also assuming the class is in the same document (for the purpose of simplcitiy) you could call the function like:

test_class->test_function();

I came across this the other night, though I don't use classing myself, no need for it really, extra bloat when unnecessary but it has it's used.

I came across this the other night, though I don't use classing myself, no need for it really, extra bloat when unnecessary but it has it's used.

Yes there is need for it because doing so actually reduces bloating significantly. Learn to become proficient in OOP before you dismiss it so easily. There are quite a lot of things you can do with OOP that make your code both smarter and less bloated that cannot be done in "Procedural".

-> means "Points at"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.