TIP: How to get MySQL tables in Dreamweaver MX

:idea:

OK, maybe I\'m the only one who had trouble doing this, but I finally got MySQL tables to show up in Dreamweaver MX.

Here\'s a few things I had to do to get it working:

In the Advanced Tab of the Site Definition, you must have all that filled out. The last field on that tab is \"URL Prefix\", just put your domain in there, don\'t point to the http_docs folder or anything.

You also have to define your MySQL connection in the Application area on the right-hand screen. This is simply your localhost, username, password, and database name. If you\'ve used the mysql_connect and mysql_select_db PHP statements, it\'s basically that info.

Anyway, it was pretty cool to see my tables in DWMX...

This is about as far as I\'ve gotten with DWMX and MySQL/PHP. I\'m going to do more with it of course, but if anyone has done cool stuff themselves, post it here!

-dibbkd

Well, glad you figured it out :!: But, I would warn all those using DWMX (as I do) because the PHP/MySQL code (as I hear is the CFM, ASP and JSP code) is VERY messy.

It uses very unconventional - legal, but unconventional - coding styles that is very hard to edit and therefore debug.

I use DWMX and would recomment it to anyone, but not because of its PHP/MySQL compatibility, I use it for the layout tool!

HTH, LiamG.

(edit) - check this out http://www.i-source101.com/read.php?articleid=12

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, i would never use DWMX for its\' coding capabilities...i get frustrated with the way it codes my plain HTML sometimes....I try to explain to people to learn PHP without using DW to write your code....when you have PHP or any language to script just press F10 and type away....

I always think you should learn it before you have a program create it for you....and DW just will never do what you want it to.....it will only do basics, and give you very lengthy un-needed code...

i really don\'t even think this section of the forums should be here...(not to sound rude)

just my 7 cents (inflation)

BS :x

• 2 months later...
I agree, i would never use DWMX for its\' coding capabilities...i get frustrated with the way it codes my plain HTML sometimes....I try to explain to people to learn PHP without using DW to write your code....when you have PHP or any language to script just press F10 and type away....

When you say, it\'s better to write your own code, does that include connecting to your database? If you\'re using DWMX, I thought you had to make sure all the database connection settings were input, and through DWMX

Bill

no you can just write your own code on the code view side to connect to the database.....i started using DW a long time ago for page layout ease, and now i am pretty much sick of it...i still use it but minimally, it likes to rewrite you code and mess up your spacing...anyway you can press F10 and just type away you don\'t need to use DW\'s crappy code...

BS

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.