problems with JOIN statement.

lifeson2112

hello, I am having problems searching across multiple tables. I was told that I could do this by using a JOIN statement, but that doesn't seem to be working.

here's an example of one of my queries. It works fine when i test them each individually, but the join statements don't work. :

SELECT * FROM pegperego WHERE name regexp 'power' and name regexp 'wheels' and name regexp 'latch' or caption regexp 'power' and caption regexp 'wheels' and caption regexp 'latch' 
JOIN SELECT * FROM power_wheels WHERE name regexp 'power' and name regexp 'wheels' and name regexp 'latch' or caption regexp 'power' and caption regexp 'wheels' and caption regexp 'latch' 
JOIN SELECT * FROM power_wheels_wheels WHERE name regexp 'power' and name regexp 'wheels' and name regexp 'latch' or caption regexp 'power' and caption regexp 'wheels' and caption regexp 'latch' 
JOIN SELECT * FROM presto WHERE name regexp 'power' and name regexp 'wheels' and name regexp 'latch' or caption regexp 'power' and caption regexp 'wheels' and caption regexp 'latch' ;

these are all pretty much the same queries, but looking through different tables. My thought right now is that maybe the query is too big or I am using the join statement incorrectly. If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Wildbug, the table definitions for all the tables are exactly the same. What I had in mind was to combine the results so that the columns lined up. If this isn't what the join statement does then I'm a little confused. I'm going to go ahead and look into the union keyword.

Also, if you don't really need regular expressions, the following suggests that using LIKE would be, like, a bit faster.  If you're not familiar with it, it has simple wildcards, similar to some command line wildcards in many OSs -- "%" means any characters, "_" means one character.

mysql> SELECT BENCHMARK(1000000,'this is inside the thing' LIKE '%thin%');
+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| BENCHMARK(1000000,'this is inside the thing' LIKE '%thin%') |
|                                                           0 | 
1 row in set (0.26 sec)

mysql> SELECT BENCHMARK(1000000,'this is inside the thing' REGEXP 'thin');
| BENCHMARK(1000000,'this is inside the thing' REGEXP 'thin') |
|                                                           0 | 
1 row in set (3.03 sec)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.