I want one!

redbullmarky

ok, so we've seen them in the movies and it's not exactly a new concept, but still. this is just pretty cool:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6703249.stm

Initially aimed at businesses, it's "expected to cost around $5000 - $10000 (£2,525-£5,050)" initially "with plans to create cheaper versions for the home within 3-5 years."

I'd like to see this as much as the next person but when you think about it we have 10s of drivers for everything from cameras to monitors. What are the chances that you'll actually be able to drag and drop photos from one cam to another without hours of driver installation?  (It looks beautiful though, I know my xmas present :) )

That is absolutely amazing. I've heard rumors, but I had no idea it was that close to production already. I can think of a ton of legitimate business uses, but I'm sure my kids would die to have that finger painting feature, too ;)

dj, nice link - tho i read the comments on that article, and I do think it's mad how some people have it deeply set that no matter what MS do, it's in the firing line to be belittled. Most dont even have any valid reason for hating MS and/or Bill Gates, apart from it's a bandwagon and "the norm" thing to do.

I'm not a huge fan of MS, but you gotta give them credit. 2 weeks ago, I got a new comp with Vista and mostly am finding it pretty good - not a rip-off of OS X as many say. I also saw many articles about how much MS are losing in terms of their online market share - but love em or hate em, they always pull something out the bag which the majority are wowed by.

This table being one of them. I aint gonna spend several thousand pounds on a fancy tic tac toe machine, but the idea of flicking the bubbles of my drink across the table has got me sold haha :D

Seriously tho - as they've pretty much stated that Vista is prob their last proper windows release, they could do MUCH worse than focus on this piece of kit. If I was a bar owner and I could keep my drunk patrons calm as well as provide them a way of ordering food and drink at the same time as letting them hold a business meeting at the same time as offering them a jukebox and game of table football, I'd be lapping it up.

In this case, well done MS.

agreed, though I'm not so sure how well this table will fair. apple is doing the same sort of multi touch on their iphone, but by using cheaper touch screen tech.

because ms is using a projector + 5 cameras, the hardware seems very limited. I hope ms switches to using cheaper and more reliable (touch vs camera) tech. that would drop the price alot. not today.. but tomorrow. lcds keep getting cheaper and cheaper, so I expect that in 5 years you'll find graphic designers with these things using their entire desk as a 'tablet' for photoshop.

I think it's wicked.

the pc world is REALLY going through a renaissance right now with harddrives becoming obsolete and 256Gigabyte flash drives (faster, lower power, more reliable) better cpus, smaller, better wifi, and cheap led backlit lcds and Oleds.

the next 5 years are going to be alot of fun!

I'd say alot of people have seen Jeff Han's demo online of the multi-touch screen he and his team developed.

He's been developing the tech for a long time, along with numerous other motion-tracking and visual display technologies.

Have a look for the presentation online (ted.com I think) because it's well worth seeing and the amazing thing i thought was that it was like a pane of glass. Even when it was displaying something you could see through the other parts completely transparently. It had many of the same apps like the photo one but it used total internal refraction.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.