Where Are My Error Messages?

JayBlake

I've got a problem so fundamental I can't even say what my error message is because I don't see any errors EVER!  If my PHP or MySQL scripts don't work, I just see a blank browser page and have to dig through the code and figure out my problem by brute force.  Do I have to set a parameter somewhere or something?  I even tried installing a debugger but still I don't see anything (unless it works, of course).  I know there is probably a really simple solution but I'm a total newbie to OO programming.  Thanks.

<?php
ini_set('display_errors', 'On');
error_reporting(E_ALL);
echo "wombat; // yes this is an intentional error
?>

Save as test.php, upload to your server, and execute it. Tell us what you see on screen and what is seen when you view the html source.

Thanks.  I typed in that exact code, saved it as test.php, opened my browser and again, nothing but a white screen.  I didn't save it to the wrong place, either, because my earlier successful scripts that I saved there work just fine.

Your earlier saved scripts work just fine?  Including error display? When you browse to them or when you call them from a server as opposed to local navigation with Explorer and double-clicking?

I'm sorry, I meant they work fine if there aren't any errors.  If there are errors I just get that blank screen (I even verified that again).  I'm using my Internet Explorer browser to run these; I've never uploaded them to a server.

Please try the following:

if ($original_value = ini_set('display_errors', 'On'))
{
     print "<P>New display_errors value set</P>";
     print "<P>Original value: {$original_value}</P>";
}
else print "<P>Failed to set display_errors</P>";

The following note is regarding the behaviour of ini_set(display_errors...

Note:

Although display_errors may be set at runtime (with ini_set()), it won't have any affect if the script has fatal errors. This is because the desired runtime action does not get executed.

But there is no error with that above code... I even tested the code... something should be printed.

Do you have access to the php.ini file?

what about this:

if ($original_value = @ini_set('display_errors', 'On'))
{
}

Well, now I've made a tiny bit of progress.  I took everything out of my script except for your code and it displays "Failed to set display_errors" (in fact, it does it with the "@" before ini_set or without).  So now what do I need to do?

And, yes, I do have access to the php.ini file.  Should I look for something there?

Now I put the following lines at the beginning:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

ini_set('display_errors','On');

and it displays "New display_errors values set"

along with a good echo message I put in later.

HOWEVER,

If I corrupt my good echo message with a typo, I again see nothing at all - a completely blank screen, not even the "New display..." message.  It's almost as if getting an error turns off my display_errors settings!

error_reporting  =  E_ALL  and is not commented out.

display_errors = Off  and is not commented out.

Sorry if those two additional lines I put in make no sense; I was just following AndyB's suggestion.

As you requested, here is all my code (I'm not sure what you meant by "wrapped in code tags", sorry):

<?php

error_reporting(E_ALL);

ini_set('display_errors','On');

if ($original_value = ini_set('display_errors', 'On'))

{

}

echo "this is a good test message";

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.