Kontera links

[!--quoteo(post=356902:date=Mar 21 2006, 09:56 AM:name=SemiApocalyptic)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SemiApocalyptic @ Mar 21 2006, 09:56 AM) 356902[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

They don't appear to slow down any of my machines... Is it just on this site, or JavaScript as a whole?

Actually, I take that back. Mine is a bit slow when trying to scroll down the page with the wheel on my mouse...

Once the screen loads it's fine, but towards the end of loading the screen the cpu utilization spikes up to 100% and I usually get a box warning that a script is taking too long.

Yes, you need revenue to run these sites, but having the screen freeze everytime it repaints will probably drive everyone away.

Ken

[!--quoteo(post=357048:date=Mar 21 2006, 02:05 PM:name=kenrbnsn)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(kenrbnsn @ Mar 21 2006, 02:05 PM) 357048[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Once the screen loads it's fine, but towards the end of loading the screen the cpu utilization spikes up to 100% and I usually get a box warning that a script is taking too long.

Yes, you need revenue to run these sites, but having the screen freeze everytime it repaints will probably drive everyone away.

Ken

We have relayed all of the concerns to Kontera and we're waiting on their response.

Thanks,

It's not something they can fix, it's a conceptual issue. If you are going to have Javascript search through the DOM and run ajax queries on keywords, it is going to eat significant CPU cycles. Period. Those of us browsing on ancient 1.3GHz Durons are left waiting 2 or 3 seconds (per page load) for it to finish.

Sorry, but I added kontera to my adblock list (which helps a great deal).

I've been using AOL to browse this site for the last 3 years. For the last week or so, none of the links have worked and I've had to load another browser (IE or Firefox) to use the site.

If it gets too difficult to help others, like Wickning, I am going to think twice. I already find myself spending more time back at phpbuilder.

Wickning,

What software have you got to block the damn thing?

Please continue to post your complaints about the links here. We've give kontera the url to these threads and I can assure you they are working on it.

If we had some other way to support this community financially, we would, but at this time the Ads are whats keeping the sites alive. We've tried many other things, WebHost Freaks and Server Powered. Ironically almost every person that uses these sites needs hosting, but that doesn't seem to drive home the point that we offer hosting with all the goodies, kick ass Dedicated Servers and such, but we're not seeing the type of response we would have liked on those businesses.

So ads are here. Just let us know what the problems are, give some type of proof and we'll send it to Kontera.

Regards,

I have confirmed that the Adblock firefox extension on the mozdev website will block the ads that everyone is complaining about. If you are regular, and are frustrated, grab an adblocker.

Go to: [a href=\"http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html\" target=\"_blank\"]http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html[/a]

Click on: Adblock 0.5 d3 nightly 42 and install the extension.

Then, restart Firefox.

In Firefox, go to Tools > AdBlock > List All Blockable Elements

In the text field enter: http://*.kontera.com/*

Then the ads will be blocked and all will be normal. However, we really wish that you wouldn't do this and we wish that you would check out the advertisers, but in efforts to make everyone happy, this is a possible solution for Firefox users. If anyone else has simple instructions for other browsers, please feel free to post it.

Regards,

The same can be done with the latest releases of Opera (the preview releases of 9, not the stable 8.53 public release). All you have to do is right-click, go to details in the box that shows up and add the link Eric provided above.

absolutely spot on. works a treat.

eric, i've made a donation but for some reason i did not get a confirmation email from paypal. can you confirm it came through ok?

either way, i'm hoping to make donations a more regular thing from now on, as the help i've recieved here has been invaluable.

I don't see the problem everyone is complaining about with loadtime and CPU usage. I notice one person meantioned a Duron 1.3GHz, I have not tried the site on anything lower than an Athlon 2500XP, but even then I didn't have a single problem with load time or CPU usage. My systems are as follows:

AMD 64 (Socket 939) 2,000MHz

512MB DDR PC3200

SuSE 10.0 (gdm/gnome)

DSL (620/310)

Mozilla FireFox 1.0.7

Epiphany 1.8.0

AMD Athlon 2500XP

512MB DDR PC3200

Windows 2K Pro

DSL (620/310)

Mozilla FireFox (I forget what version it is)

IE6

AMD Athlon 3000XP

512MB DDR PC3200

SuSE 10.0 (gdm/gnome)

DSL(620/310)

Mozilla FireFox 1.0.7

Epiphany 1.8.0

I browse this site answering questions and searching for tips that may improve my own coding while doing other things and I see absolutely no problems relating to the ads. I wish the site could run without ads, but in a perfect world we'd all have OC lines pounded in to our houses and money would grow on trees, but since we don't and it doesn't seeing ads is a small price to pay.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.