Wish to have wireless peripherals, options?

roopurt18

What are the options these days for going wireless with peripherals?  I have a fax machine, scanner, and printer I'd like to share between two desktops and a laptop.  I'm doing research on my own, but it's always nice to hear directly from someone with more experience in an area.

Thanks!

bluetooth, or set the main pc they're plugged into as the host ans share them over the network. it's hard to share a scanner though, I'd use vnc to virtually control the host pc from your second.

wireless usb is available, but thus far it's not very good.

Linksys G - don't bother with the speed booster (you can just get new firmware that will do the same thing). Make sure you encrypt your signal and don't broadcast it. ;)

I'm not sure how much you can do with the fax/scanner as far as making them network nodes...you might have to keep the scanner on a computer and just share it over the network. This kinda depends on your actual harware.

Hope that helps.

Side note - Once you buy one brand (linksys) stay with it, there are a lot of small differences between companies that can make your life somewhat painful :) Staying with the same company will ensure that you will have the least amount of issues.

For the printer you can use a Print Server it is a bit like an AccessPoint accept you connect your Printer to it via USB rather than ethernet. Then you can print to it wirelessly over your network.

if you go for an all-in-one printer that has Fax, Scan and Copy functionality then you get this and you can do it all wirelessly with out having the need to setup a 'host PC' to connect your individual peripherals to your network.

I agree with you on the same-brand idea cmg; I have a wired d-link router which I purchased after a nutty Linksys that made my hair fall out.

I forgot to mention in the first post, I'm more interested in solutions that allow me to use the devices without having to have other computers turned on.  It's the case 9 times out of 10 that both desktops are running; but that 1 out of 10 times where I need to wait for a computer to turn on before I can print makes me go crazy.

Then again, maybe I'm over complicating the issue.  All I ever need to do is print; my fiance is the one that wants to fax and scan.

I do have a print server shut away in the closet somewhere, I was just really curious if there existed similar devices for other USB peripherals.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.