Apache 2.0.46 + RH9 startup error

WormTongue

I\'m am getting this error...

(13)Permission Denied:  make_sock:  cound not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets availalbe, shutting down

Unable to open logs

Now, i am not root when i start the webserver, but when i become root and run it, everything works fine. So, my guess is that i don\'t have permission to open up port 80. Does anybody know how to fix this error? Someone told me that you can\'t open port 80 when you aren\'t root, so you have to run apache as root. This is really bad because i do not want to run apache as root, since that is a major security problem.

Thanks for your help.

I\'m am getting this error...

(13)Permission Denied:  make_sock:  cound not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets availalbe, shutting down

Unable to open logs

Now, i am not root when i start the webserver, but when i become root and run it, everything works fine. So, my guess is that i don\'t have permission to open up port 80. Does anybody know how to fix this error? Someone told me that you can\'t open port 80 when you aren\'t root, so you have to run apache as root. This is really bad because i do not want to run apache as root, since that is a major security problem.

Thanks for your help.

Although you start Apache as root, it immediately forks children as the user you specify in the apache http.conf file. This is most typically set to be nobody.

If i do start the webserver as root, and even though the child process are set to nobody, won\'t the parent stay as root? So, even if somebody hacks into my webserver, they can still get to the parent and evenutally get into my system because the parent is root. Is my thinking correct?

Thanks for the help. I set it up on a port greater than 1024 and everything worked fine.

I know that port 80 is HTTP, so i set it up at 1500 since i am not root. Now, is it really safe to startup apache as root because of the child processes? Then i can get to port 80 and everything works smoothly? Does anybody have any references to the potential security issues with apache?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.