Is this possible with PHP?

ZAOxWarMachine

Hello,

I am currently trying to build a website for a Fantasy Hockey League. I would like to have a pretty interactive site and ahve come across a few (http://www.revolutiondesign.ca/Version3.0/index.aspx) that look cool and really interactive. But, does that site appear to be PHP driven? If so is making something like that pretty hard? I mean I would like to have sortable content by Goals, Assists, Points, etc. The simulator outputs regular HTML files, but can I make them into PHP content? I also want to make an owner login section where the owners of each team can login and put guys on the trading block, etc. and then have that activity show up on the front page without really having to do it manually, is that possible? Does any of this seem possible or am I just wishful thinking? Thanks for your time!

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Does any of this seem possible or am I just wishful thinking?[/quote]
Of course its possible and it doesnt really matter what server side tech you use. That side appears to use a cross between asp and .NET. But the backend stuff could just as easily be done with php. No probs.

As for the design. I dont see anything too fancy there. A simple mix of html and javascript (NOT Java as Humpty suggested. They are two completely different things) and yeah, maybe a little flash.

[!--quoteo(post=356945:date=Mar 21 2006, 08:11 AM:name=thorpe)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thorpe @ Mar 21 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]356945[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
(NOT Java as Humpty suggested. They are two completely different things)[/quote]

My bad....I know the difference...I should have been more specific. :( sorry dudes

Depends on how you learn , i started with php books you can find at any book store. I recommend this one for a pure newbie, helps with the stuff a lot people leave out:
PHP for the World Wide Web : Visual QuickStart Guide by Larry Ullman

I do have friends who learned how to code php purely from just doing it and looking on the web so like i said depends on how you learn.

Eventually you'll get most of your info on php.net. if its totally new to you some of the stuff will seem like greek but if you stick with it long enough you'll get it.

I have had BASIC and VisualBASIC programming experience, (Step-bystep book, then as needed)

I had a bit of SQL experience from that.

I installed a webserver Apache + PHP + MySQL (no idea how to do any of it at the time)

Then I read the MySQL Manual.

Then a PHP quick tutorial (heaps of them in google)

HTML is hard for me, (I use dreamweaver and have no desire to hand-code html)

Then the rest of the PHP was searching as needed.

The hardest part about doing all that is not knowing what to search for. You know what you want to do but not the commands / syntax to use. phpfreaks forum is great for having people point in the right direction. There is also forums available for .NET, ASP, SQL (MySQL ....all similar) and just about everyting else. Be sure to visit a few forums to get a feel of user frequency and thier assistance.

As long as you are looking for help and not someone to do things for you, you will soon be competent enough to do 80% or more of your work without needing any help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.