selling mp3 audio downloads : solutions or opinions

mgm_03

My client wants to sell mp3 audio files on his website. I know that there are many solutions around the web - particularly on hotscripts.com. There are many PayPal variations.

I am interested to know if anyone has opinions or experience with a particular solution or implementation ...good or bad.

[a href=\"http://www.turnkeywebtools.com/index.php/location/products/product/sunshop/sub/overview/\" target=\"_blank\"]Sunshop[/a] is a shop written in PHP that I have used in the past. There's support for digital downloads (Be it images, ebooks, music files....etc). You can set a limit to how many times a user can download said file, or set a time limit...etc. It also has payment modules that can be used to proccess payments..(With support for Paypal as well). I'm sure I would be able to program something similar....but anything that saves me time can't be a bad thing. And of course you can customize it to match an existing site.

*shrugs* Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the suggestion. In this instance, it's cost-prohibitive.

Would you consider using OScommerce for digital downloads? I've just installed it but for my simple needs, I see a great deal of hacking to get rid of many unnecessary features.

Herein lies the problem (Telling you this from experience) with free alternatives....If you want to intergrate payment modules down the line, or the payment gateways change their requirements....then you will have to either a) rely on upgrades b) pay for additions. A lot of the open source stuff does not get updated as often, provide decent support (For obvious reasons, it's free), and often times charge for extras that come with the other commercial shops already available. I have setup both free solutions & payed solutions for clients. More often than not, they switch to the paid solutions. Especially if they plan to make a business out of it....they need instant support if all hell breaks loose. Paying customers don't like waiting.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.