Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgbutler

Using Variables with <<<

I've got a little bit of code where I fill a variable with <<< . (I'm such a newbie, I don't even know what that's called!) Like this:

[code]$body=<<<_MSG_

This is the body of a message.

_MSG_;[/code]

What I'd like to do is insert some MySQL variable information into the middle of that. I tried the following, but got a parsing error. Is there a way around this?

[code]$body=<<<_MSG_

This is the body of a message sent to $row_rsVerify['email']

_MSG_;[/code]

Thanks!

[code]$body="<<<_MSG_This is the body of a message sent to ". $row_rsVerify['email'] ". _MSG_";[/code]

Should work for you :)

No, that won't work. The OP is using the heredoc format. (why it's called that is lost in the antiquities of the C language... :-) ) The '<<<' is not part of the string and neither is the "_MSG_".

The solution here is to use curly brackets around the array variable.
[code]<?php
$body=<<<_MSG_

This is the body of a message sent to {$row_rsVerify['email']}

_MSG_;
?>[/code]

Ken

[!--quoteo(post=357102:date=Mar 21 2006, 05:30 PM:name=kenrbnsn)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(kenrbnsn @ Mar 21 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]357102[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
No, that won't work. The OP is using the heredoc format. (why it's called that is lost in the antiquities of the C language... :-) ) The '<<<' is not part of the string and neither is the "_MSG_".

The solution here is to use curly brackets around the array variable.
[/quote]
[b]heredoc format[/b]? Man, I never would've guess that! Or the curly braces!

But that's just what I needed.

When you don't know the name for something, it makes it mighty hard to search for help with it.

Thanks a heap!

P.S. How is "heredoc" pronounced? Is it like "heretic" or "hear-dock"?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.