chooseing lynux for php

oceans

Dear Thrope,

This is the first time I am going to use Linux as my server operating system.

Is Linux Installation: (CentOS Plain) common and easy? (I didn’t know there are many versions). All I want is the operating should be as easy to handle and be close to window, as I will feel at home.

So is it wise for me to choose CentOS Plain. A lot of things are running in my head, as I have to rework my work as I go along.

Please advice what I should lookout for while converting my WAMP to Linux..

I have done my code in PHP 95% done, now converting..

CentOS is probably one of the easiest distros around, either that or Ubuntu. I'm not sure what you want us to say really.

If this machine is going to be used purely as a web server then you shouldn't install any unrequired packages, this includes a desktop.

For a web server, I would recommend debian.

For a true webserver, RedHat or Fedora core are very common and mostly modified via command line, as thorpe said you do not want to weight down your web server with a desktop and unnecessary packages.

If I had to say for a "true" webserver Fedora Core is the best bet. I've had a lot less problems using that than anything else really.

As I stated before if you want a good "out of the box" easy to configure linux system that is similar to windows I would highly go with Debian. I have tried Ubuntu, KBunutu, Mepis and many others, and Debian still holds the best as debian does not release un-stable and buggy versions of their OS like Ubuntu and the others do.

I think someone said it best that Debian may not be as flashy and up-to date with the latest and greatest, but it will run without crashing like the others due to the limited tested of the latest and greatest software packages.

Thanks people,

I need your advice, really.

Let me give a summery of my work:

I use (i) PHP and (ii) MySQL, (iii) direct folder accesses

As for (iii), my php codes should be able to (create, rename, move, delete a folder) & (upload, store, copy, rename, delete a file in the folder). The files are simple jpg files the clients upload into the server and are stored in the respective folders, and will be “src”ed into respective pages later.

I will send automated email via PHP codes.

That’s all for the work.

When it comes to admin:

I need to do daily back up of (a) all files in MySQL and (b) all the folders and bring it to my pc (WIN XP) at home else I will waste space if the backup is stored in server itself, At times I need to delete some folders permanently too.

OK firefighting:

If in the event of data corruption, I need to quickly delete all data and if needed codes as well and transfer the latest from my home pc (WIN XP) in to the server.

That is all.

Please advice what OS should I take, and what should I be careful about.

All my codes are working as intended in WAMP in my home pc (WINXP).

Please recommend on stability of the OS, thanks. Crashes are a pain!!!

Thanks people.

Your questions are still very vague. Linux in general is allot more stable then windows if configured properly.

Just pick one of the distros we've suggested and try it, though if you ask me, your not ready for Linux. Setting up and maintaining a Linux OS let alone a server requires quite a bit of patience and a willingness to try and test new things. Running around asking for advice and hoping to base your entire solution on said advice will only lead to trouble.

Very vague, and everything you keep re-stating has already been answered.

You have a ton of choices, but I am with Thorpe, you do not seem like a Linux type of guy, instead of just going and trying, you just ask too many questions. Just install a distro already and test it out.

www.debian.org

www.ubuntu.org

www.kubuntu.org

www.mepis.org

www.freebsd.org

www.fedora-core.org

www.sun.com (Solaris)

www.redhat.com

www.mandriva.com

Plus a ton more, those are just popular ones. Download and install one and see how it runs. As I said before I highly suggest Debian for a windows look/feel. For a very solid server freebsd or fedora-core are very popular.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.