LIMIT in UPDATE query

frikus

Why can't I use [LIMIT offset, row_count] in UPDATE query, just like I do it in SELECT statements? The manual says that the only right syntax for UPDATE is [LIMIT row_count], no offset. Is there any other way to do it? Thanks.

why on earth would you need an offset?  when SELECTing, you need the offset to specify where in the resultset to start pulling; in an UPDATE, you're using the WHERE clause to explicitly state what rows you will or won't be updating.  the only use i could see for the offset in an UPDATE query is if you need to update an entire table and want to do it in chunks, but that's not even necessary - if they all need to be updated, you can just repeat the query several times with only the LIMIT row_count set.

in short, the order of SELECT matters, the order of UPDATE shouldn't, otherwise it isn't a legitimate UPDATE query.

Here's an example. Let's say I have the following table:

|photo_id|user_id|visible|

|    10    |  36  |  0    |

|    11    |  64  |  1    |

|    12    |  52  |  1    |

|    13    |  36  |  1    |

|    14    |  36  |  0    |

|    15    |  28  |  0    |

|    16    |  36  |  1    |

Now I want to make the photo where photo_id=14 visible.

But all I have is the user_id (36) and the fact that I need to update his third photo in the table, I don't know the photo_id of the photo I want to update.

The question is how to achieve this using only one query.

Why can't I use use something like

UPDATE photos SET visible=1 WHERE user_id=36 LIMIT 3,1

It seems logical to me. I tried it with subqueries, it didn't work either.

Sorry if it all sounds stupid  :D

I'm sorry, I don't see the problem here. You know the photo_id, so use it.

update photos

set visible=1

where photo_id=14

You should not need to limit an update at all, and if you do there is probably something wrong somewhere.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.