mysql query that adds total

portabletelly

Hi, I have a table called call_event. The call_events table has colum called Time_taken. Data in this colum is stored as a decimal vaulue. EG. 4hrs and 15 minutest would be stored as 4.25.

I would like to be able to do a mysql query which give a total of all the returned values from a query but Im not quite sure what syntax I need.

The query I would like to do is to find out the the total time for a call.

I would imagen the query would be somthing like this

Query = SELECT Time_Taken FROM call_event WHERE call_id ="$call_ID";

When running this query it will return all the times_taken which have the call_id field = to $call_ID.

eg 4.5, 3.25 0.00 5.0

However what do I need to do get the total for all these values eg 4.5 + 3.25 + 0.00 + 5.00 = 12.75

I want to be do a query that will return the value of all the time_Taken added up for example in this case I wanted the query to return 12.75

Is this possible with just a query or do I need to do somthing funky with php to add up all the returned values?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.