To help protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file. (VB)

deadonarrival

Hey, I'm a newbie to visual basic - although I know a fair bit about programming in general. This is the only coding forum I use regularly, so figured I'd post here first in case anyone knows :)

I've made a small program using VB, but when anyone else tries to run it they get the following error

To help protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file.

It's not a problem on my own PC - but I dont have windows firewall (on account of the word windows in it) and I don't have to unzip it... these are two of the things I've seen mentioned relating to this problem, but for once google let me down :(

Does anyone know what the problem is, and how I can get around it? Is there something I'm doing or not doing in VB (vb6, not vb.net) which is causing this error?

~DOA

Its when someone else tries to use my file. I've partially solved the problem now.

The only other thing is that I need to be able to move a dll to the c:\windows\system32 folder, can this be done using a batch file? I need it to move a file from the same folder as the .bat to the above folder

Any help appreciated :)

When the other person gets it, have them right-click on the exe and go to properties.  Sometimes Windows puts a "block" on certain files.  There is probably an "unblock" button in the properties window of the exe.

You also have to remember that Windows is paranoid too. If it's Windows XP Pro, set up a permission for that program and "Run As Administrator" if Windows XP Home right click -> "Run As Administrator". Same goes for Windows Vista and as for Windows ME or anything older..... upgrade...

Usually if you have some code in the program that resembles a WORM or Virus then Windows will tend to block it, (if security settings/programs are enabled)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.