A hidden variable not getting passed .

swatisonee

Hi,

I have the foll. code that works perfectly *except* that the hidden value $uid doesnt pass thru.

When this script is run , i can see the value of $uid in the address bar and also when i use $_GEt, the value gets echoed but thereafter, it appears to be completely ignored by the rest of the script. Could someone tell me what could be the reason and how i could correct it ?

I have passed the hidden field both within and outside the form tags hoping one of them would be right but none worked - have left all of them in this script for anyone else to have a look to see which will definitely not work

Thanks
Swati

[code]<? include("protect.php");

$uid = $_GET["uid"];
echo $uid;

if(isset($_POST) && !empty($_POST["customer"]))
{

?>

<input type="hidden" name="uid" value="<? echo $uid ?>" >

<b><p><font face="Tahoma" size="2" color="#0000FF">These are the customers in your database in the selected alphabet range.  Select one to update</b></font><p>

<form method="post" action="update_new1.php?uid=<? echo $uid ?>">

<table border="1" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%">
<tr bgcolor="#DEEDFE">
<td><b><font size=2 face=Tahoma color=blue>Select</b></td>
<td><b><font size=2 face=Tahoma color=blue>Company</b></td>
<td><b><font size=2 face=Tahoma color=blue>City</b></td>
<td><b><font size=2 face=Tahoma color=blue>State</b></td>
<td><b><font size=2 face=Tahoma color=blue>First Name</b></td>
<td><b><font size=2 face=Tahoma color=blue>Last Name</b></td>
<tr>

<?php

mysql_connect("localhost", $dbname, $dbpasswd )
        or die ("Unable to connect to server.");

mysql_select_db("$database")
        or die ("Unable to select database.");

$sqla = "SELECT * FROM `Customers` WHERE  `Company` LIKE '%$customer%' ORDER BY `Company` asc";

$resulta = mysql_query($sqla) or die (mysql_error ());
//echo $sqla;

do {

printf("<tr><td><input type=\"radio\" name=\"choice\" value=%d><td>
    <font size=2 face=Tahoma color=blue>%s<td>
</tr>",
$myrowa["Customerid"],
$myrowa["Company"],
$myrowa["Business City"],
$myrowa["Business State"],
$myrowa["First Name"],
$myrowa["Last Name"]);

} while ($myrowa = mysql_fetch_array($resulta));

?>

</table>

<p><input type="submit" value="Select">

</form>
<?php
}
else
{
  showForm();
}

function showForm()
{
?>

<form method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]; ?>">

<font face="Tahoma" size="3" color="#0000FF">Type the first few alphabets of the company name.<P>

<font face="Tahoma" size="2" color="#0000FF">Company:<input type="text" size="12" name="customer">
<input type="submit" value="Go !">

</form>

<?php
}
?>[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=357966:date=Mar 24 2006, 07:06 PM:name=swatisonee)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(swatisonee @ Mar 24 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]357966[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
doesn't work

I need to first set $uid to the uid which appears in the address bar and $_POST doesn't contain it.

that's why i needed to use $_GET but if theres a better option which will yield results, i will try it

thanks
[/quote]
Try this
[code]
if(isset($_GET['uid'])) $uid = $_GET['uid']; else $uid = $_POST['uid'];
[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=357973:date=Mar 24 2006, 05:11 PM:name=Honoré)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Honoré @ Mar 24 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]357973[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Try this
[code]
if(isset($_GET['uid'])) $uid = $_GET['uid']; else $uid = $_POST['uid'];
[/code]
[/quote]

Stop giving bad advice

keeB

No luck i'm afraid. I passed the input within both the form tags but no help at all. its like the uid doesnt have anything to do with the script, once $_GEt is run. I am at my wits end because this script is working exactly as needed but without this uid in place , i cant use it to process the remaining files !

From what i can gather, once the if (isset..) part starts to work , the uid gets ignored because at that point its just searching for a value for $customer and nothing else matter...

[code]$uid = $_GET["uid"];
echo $uid;

if(isset($_POST) && !empty($_POST["customer"]))
{

?>[/code]

Can you suggest something else i could try ? Thanks.

I think what everyone was missing is that you have two different forms being displayed. One in the main area of the code and one in a function. This is the code for the function:
[code]<?php
function showForm()
{
?>

<font face="Tahoma" size="3" color="#0000FF">Type the first few alphabets of the company name.<P>

<font face="Tahoma" size="2" color="#0000FF">Company:<input type="text" size="12" name="customer">

</form>

<?php
}
?>[/code]
Here is where you're not getting the value of $uid because $uid doesn't have a value in this context. Either pass it as an arguement to the function or use the value of the $_GET superglobal array.

I would use the value from the $_GET array:
[code]<?php
function showForm()
{
?>

<input type="hidden" name="uid" value="<? echo $_GET['uid'] ?>" > // changed this line

</form>

<?php
}
?>[/code]

Hope this helps.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.