Review EZADMINTOOLS

jstgermain

I started a new site to help webmastes and designers alike. looking at incorporating more tools in to the site. open to suggestions. the scripts section was just started, and only the php section is ready to start adding scripts to right now. if you have any scripts, please post them there. [a href=\"http://www.ezadmintools.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.ezadmintools.com[/a]

[!--quoteo(post=358390:date=Mar 25 2006, 03:49 PM:name=neewah)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(neewah @ Mar 25 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]358390[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
This post should really be in website critique...
[/quote]
ok, thanks. i guess just review it when you get a chance then. thanks in advance. :D

Guest neewah
No problem :)

Ok your website - I like the design, I think it looks good and effective, however the title image is pretty big, you might want to consider scaling that down a bit, especially for smaller resolution screens. Good work with the forums, they look great.

[b]Edit[/b]
Oh one other thing i noticed later (sorry :S), the ads are a bit over the top. I think you should remove some.

-neewah

not too bad. but as we're in 'Website Critique', i reckon being nicey nicey isn't what you're after.

1, your header/logo is huge and along with the nav, takes up half of my browser window. i hate the scrollbars at the best of times, but when they only appear due to an oversized banner, that's a different moan altogether.
2, I went to your site expecting lots of script downloads and tools, as the name would suggest. Instead what I found was a splash page of adverts with a bit of your content squashed in.
3, I just sent you a message via the 'contact' page. Hope you liked my 'alexa toolbar' uninstall program (an EXE file), because that's exactly what your form accepted. now...if only i could find out (or guess) where you stored those files....you get the message.
4, as you've styled the input boxes on your content page, give them each a little space to breath
5, FAR too many google ads. ok, i'm gonna give you a little idea here, and apologies if UK hosting costs are much less than wherever you are based - how serious are you about this project? ok, we all love to make money, but i think (IMO) that google adsense is the biggest crock off plop alongside IE. not only (again, IMO) are people becoming immune to the ads and ignoring them totally, but a) people who have JS turned off have a big ugly blob of whitespace to look at and b) if you're that serious about hosting a site for professionals, etc, then you can find alternative ways of making money. my dinnertimes site shares a server with my company site and various other stuff. not a single advert in site, yet a couple of bits and bobs and a bit of a push has paid for my hosting costs (£25.99+VAT per month) for a year.
6, want a free pagerank on your site? "nope, cos you don't use it on yours".
7, your banner. i love being able to click the banner to go 'home'. link your banner to your home page.

it's really not a bad site at all. my biggest beef is with unnecessary adsense. the banner ad (image) across the bottom is a) out the way b) not intrusive and c) doesn't pretend to be your nav in a place where i expect to find your nav, like the adsense ones are.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Mark

Aside from what has been mentioned already, the little buttons that you have put up in the banner are veru inconspicuous. It took me a while to spot them, and I only spotted them because I rolled over one with my mouse in Firefox and the banner broke apart. May want to look into that...

Oh Lordie:
[a href=\"http://www.ezadmintools.com/upload/info.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.ezadmintools.com/upload/info.php[/a]

And a browseable folder it is:
[a href=\"http://www.ezadmintools.com/upload/\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.ezadmintools.com/upload/[/a]

As Mark said - your uploads - awfully dodgy.
Im glad your not on my server :@

Apart from that - I dont mean to sound bad, but who needs to use your site? There are tons of others providing loads of info - netcraft to mention 1.

Also what are them 3 tiny toy icons doing hidden on the top right of your large graphic?

Your tiny house, magnifer, and letter icons?

Your forum doesnt even have the same colour scheme as your website.

Get your skates on.....

-steve

[!--quoteo(post=359620:date=Mar 29 2006, 01:01 PM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Mar 29 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]359620[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
As Mark said - your uploads - awfully dodgy.
Im glad your not on my server :@
[/quote]

it's MUCH worse than first thought too, and the problem extends to his other site in his signature (which is partially about internet security), but i've PM'd him about it instead.

i thank you all for the feedback. I came here to get this type of feedback and being picked apart like this. on every other site i post on, all i get are replies of how great it is. i dont want that. i want to know what to fix. so here i will start my replies to the complaints.

the header: you think it is big, great, i wanted it that way. some people may not like it, others do. i like it, and that will not be changed. as for the small links in the header, they are meant to not be that notisable, but they are there is someone wants to use them. i dont like having the header as the home link. just my preference. some people are to stupid to think of clicking the banner to return home. also, the header is only big when using a screen with low resolution. sorry if you are using 800x600 or 1024x764. but 1024x768 isnt to bad. i will consider possibly making it a touch smaller. as for breaking apart in firefox, i dont see that problem. i test the site in internet explorer and firefox whenever i change anything. maybe a screeshot would help and let me know the screen resolution you are using.

the adsense: i will consider removing it. i dont care for it, but looking to make extra money. would love to know of better waus to make extra income.

the upload directory. hmmmm, that should have been protected with .htaccess, and must have forgot. i will fix that.

the nav: this nav is temporary, it will be changes in the final relsease of the site. just looking for feedback on the content of the site, the look, and the security.

the forum: rarely do forums look like the actual site they are on, but I will be changing the colors in the final release to look more like the actual site, but that is not my focus right now.

thanks for noticing that i am going for the w3c css compliant

pagerank button. well, i had the pr displayed in the header on the top left corner, but since the pr is 0 right now, i dont want it to display will i actually get some pr. so, i still dont see why others may not want it displayed on their site. it is a cool little image that anyone can use.

so, thanks for all the comments, positive and constructive. any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. also, i would love to add any scripts, that any of you may have, to my site. only the php and the asp parts are able to have scripts added right now. i am working on coding the rest right now. thanks again, and please let me know of anything else. :D

p.s. not sure where you got the idea that Method Computer Technologies has internet security info, but ok?

Guest neewah
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]maybe a screeshot would help and let me know the screen resolution you are using.
[/quote]

Khendar, you head better tell him the screen resolution.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.