4 replies to this topic

#1 Orphy

Orphy
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

Dear all,

Will someone be kind enough to point me to the right examples to do the following: (I can follow examples and tweak it but can not write codes from scratch as it's been less than 2 days of php for me). I will forever be indebted to you.

My "database base" is a bunch of pdf files (let say 1K) and each pdf file will be named this way:

Subject_date_author

I want to set up the site in a way, so that all I have to do is place new pdf files into the folder and the prgoram (php and mysql?) will automatically generate a webPAGE with each SUBJECT. and under subject - there will be the list of authors w/ date which will be a clickable pdf .

Please advise on how I can tackle this project. I spent hour after hours searching the net to find similar examples. No luck!!

Thank you

#2 keeB

keeB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

Thats a lot of pdf files.

Can you give us the structure of your database, please? With that I could help you a little more ;)

Come visit my site to see my latest projects
http://nick.stinemates.org/wordpress/

#3 Orphy

Orphy
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

dear keeb, thank you for replying. It seems to me after reading a bit that I need to make a database. Forget my original question for now....

Is there a way to automatically create the database with Columns of Publisher, Date and subject

given the file names are this way: Publlisher_Date_Subject.pdf

#4 draxxus

draxxus
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:54 AM

Maybe write a local script to gather all the names? You can split the file names up into seperate strings wherever a "_" is. Then have another script append any neccessary info so that you could just copy/paste into sql.

Only way I can think of :)

#5 Orphy

Orphy
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:36 PM

[!--quoteo(post=358177:date=Mar 25 2006, 03:54 AM:name=draxxus)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(draxxus @ Mar 25 2006, 03:54 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Maybe write a local script to gather all the names? You can split the file names up into seperate strings wherever a "_" is. Then have another script append any neccessary info so that you could just copy/paste into sql.

Only way I can think of :)
[/quote]

Hello draxxus,

I do have a program to spit out the file name....

So for example, I can easily convert Publisher_Author_Date.pdf

to the text Publisher_Author_DATE.

Now what? I am totally new at this...has been only 2 days.. and already feel like giving up!

How will I change Publisher_Author_Date to something something which then I can import to mysql table.

Please tell me a step by step process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users