Currency symbols

ale1981

Hi guys,

I have a problem, we use a microsoft (mssql) product at work which stores currency symbols in the database.

Now when I retrieve these symbols from the database and try to echo them to the screen using php I just get a funny square box symbol instead of the actual currency symbol.

Any idea on how I can get the symbols to show correctly?

This is probably due to the charictor type.  You can try setting:

header("Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8");

The best option would be to replace the symbole with its HTML Code.  Eg: £ becomes £

http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm is very usefull.  You can always do a search and replace as data comes out of the database onto a page if needs be.

Hope that helps

So the actual value in the database is the funny squair thing?  If so you need to do the replace on the way into the database.  Or find out which ASCII number the funny symbole is and do a search replace on that.

Unfortunatly your likley to have to replace any entries like that (already in the database) manualy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.