Critique Us Please

ospring87

Any comments on my site: [a href=\"http://anetworklive.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://anetworklive.com[/a] would be appreciated. We are a site about the show Big Brother and are looking into interactive ways for fans of the show to get the full experience. Any ways we could become more interactive or enhance our RSS feeds would also be appreciated.

[!--quoteo(post=358079:date=Mar 24 2006, 10:28 PM:name=ospring87)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ospring87 @ Mar 24 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]358079[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Any comments on my site: [a href=\"http://anetworklive.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://anetworklive.com[/a] would be appreciated. We are a site about the show Big Brother and are looking into interactive ways for fans of the show to get the full experience. Any ways we could become more interactive or enhance our RSS feeds would also be appreciated.
[/quote]

Do you want critique on the design?

Maybe it's just that I'm not even close to being in your target audience, but I really don't like what you've done. The splotchy look of it just doesn't work very well. But for the look, I'm not very helpful. For the code and stuff, I can help you a lot. You have WAY too much image text. What did you do, create a design in photoshop and just export it from there? For accessibility, it just doesn't work well. If you have a long blob of text, then type it in. It's not like using any of those splotchy fonts you seem to favor will make it look any better. Maybe it's just that I really hate image text.
Your code is another thing. No DTD? That' just begging for trouble from Microsoft, for whom you seem to have way too many hacks for in your code. Ever considered that your Microsoft troubles come from the lack of a document type? Basically, your code is horrible to try to read.

I spent 5 minutes on your site just reading and clicking, and I still have no idea what the site is for??? Does it have something to do with a TV show? I could never patronize your site, as I couldn't figure out what the point was... that is bad if you want to get new/return visitors...

From a quick look around your site I've spotted a few criticisms

1. Its clear it was developed in Word or Frontpage and simply saved out. This makes for extremely unmaintainable code
2. Using images for large pieces of text is a no no - with no meaningful text on your site you wont even get a look in on search engines
3. Speaking of search engines - you have no meta keyword or description tags. Whilst the functional benefit of these tags these days is pretty limited, its a good way to get your head around how you want to be found.
4. You have too many different font styles in a single page. Stick to two or three at the absolute most.
5. I find it very confusing to move around. In your top navigation you have links going to external pages and modules with completely different styles. It makes for a convoluted structure.

Not having a dig at the site - Just trying to provide some feedback.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.