IE and FF

ueon

the problem here stems from ignorance...sure microsoft made a low end product, but what do you expect...now, with a good portion of people being computer illiterate, they will just use ie because it came packaged with the computer.  they may not know where to go to find ff... the point is not to just build for ff, try to make the page look nice in ie too...especially if you are selling products... a good majority of people are probably viewing the page on ie.

ie is a bad browser it does not read any type of code good ...

You're welcome to make statements like that, but you really should back them up with tangible evidence.  If your complaint is that it does not support some CSS or HTML functionality, please post details of any browser that is 100% compliant with the latest CSS and HTML standards.  A little research will show you that there isn't a browser that's 100% standards-compliant.

I think the problem arises from people trying to develop sites in accordance with the standards and beind frustrated with the results...

Safari professes to be a compliant browser - its not! Neither is FF. Burt we all have to admit that if your site don't do the business in E then you are going to fail. Many of the problems associated with IE relate to its implementation of the box model in quirks mode.

IF you use a good DTD you can get IE to play ball. I use xhtml 1.1 simply because it makes ie 6 work in standards compliant mode. That is NOT to say it does what the standards say but you get a whole closer to cross browser compatibility with a decent doctype than anyother method you can use to get it look similar in a range of clients.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that if you try to open a compliant (XHTML) website in IE, IE will ask if you want to download it (so that you can view it in a good browser)

So it doesn't really matter if IE will display websites right anymore, because it won't even TRY to open modern websites now.

I'm pretty sure that if you try to open a compliant (XHTML) website in IE, IE will ask if you want to download it (so that you can view it in a good browser)

So it doesn't really matter if IE will display websites right anymore, because it won't even TRY to open modern websites now.

I'm pretty sure - just about 100% certain - that you're completely wrong.  However, if you can provide a list of sites that IE will try to download instead of displaying, I might be prepared to believe ...

hmm: http://www.alistapart.com/ - as compliant and 'new' as can be

Azu???

Whats going on???

are you confusing a html file coded with teh xhtml dtd or are you creating files with the xhtml extension?

if you are doing the latter then you are doing it wrong.  I have yet to be asked by ANY piece of software (bar an ftp client) whether I want to download a web page simply because it has an xhtml doctype.

I don't know what you are doing to get this result but I would LOVE to see it in action.

Simple. Take this example of a perfect XHTML page that identifies itself correctly and passes all validation tests 100%, and all modern browsers open it perfectly.. except IE, which won't even TRY to open it! It knows itself to be a horrible browser, so it asks you if you want to save the site and open it in a good browser.

<?header("Content-type: application/xhtml+xml");

echo'<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en"><head><title>Hello</title></head><body><p>This is a completely 100% valid XHTML page, and almost any browser except IE will render it perfectly.</p></body></html>';?>

Now have it identify itself wrong..

<?header("Content-type: text/html");

echo'<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en"><head><title>Hello</title></head><body><p>This is a completely 100% valid XHTML page, and almost any browser except IE will render it perfectly.</p></body></html>';?>

And IE will finally open it now that it is invalid. It won't render it right though unless it is very simple like this example page, and even then it will still render it as a code soup page (very slowly and not the way it is supposed to).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.