[SOLVED] value of price within mysql

mikew101

Hello.

I using the following select statement to send to mysql.

"SELECT * FROM table WHERE name LIKE '%$search%' OR desci LIKE '%$search%' AND price < 20"

The price fields actually have the dollar sign before a price. So for instance each value will like "$4.99" or "$34.99", and so on according to their indivdual prices.

The above select cannot work due to mysql not being able to understand that the prices are number due to the dollar sign included. Is their anyway to get the value of the numbers within the mysql statement? I am trying to seperate results based on user input to change results for price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could try ... and price <'$20.00'

You can't compare a number and a string because strings have a numerical value of zero.

Personally, I'd drop the $ from the database and add it when I displayed results. If price is numeric you can do any kind of math you want with it. As a string, it's kind of useless.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.