Help with PHPMyAdmin

simcoweb

Hi all. This is a simple question. But, as we all know, if you don\'t have the answers then it\'s not so simple ;)

I\'m new to MySQL databases and i\'m using PHPMyadmin to administrate a shopping cart database. I\'m not that familiar with the interface and there\'s absolutely no tutorial type instruction with the program.

Here\'s the scoop:

I need to remove the data from one field of one of the tables. There\'s 1850 products in the database. When I first log in i\'m presented with the various tables on the left. I select \'Products\'. Then that displays all the fields in that particular table. One of them is:

product_shipemail

I need to remove the entries from that field. NOT the field itself.

I\'m presented with the following choices and looking at this list of fields with a checkbox next to it:

Browse

Select

Insert

Empty

Drop

The reason i\'m paranoid is simple. I haven\'t a clue if any of these commands (not Browse or Select) will just wipe out the entire database, or, just the field I selected, or, the entire table i\'m viewing, or, etc. etc. etc. and there\'s not indication before I click it if it\'s a one-click command, warns me 12 times, says a prayer, or what.

So before my shaking hand accidentally deletes literally days worth of work, I wanted to see if I could get a little guidance on this.

Thanks!

I think that the easiest way (well the way I do it) is to go to browse. Then, you scroll down through your entries until you come across the one that you want deleted. On the left hand side there will be the command \'edit\' and \'delete\'. Just push the delete one on the left of the row you want deleted and it will remove only that row.

Thanks for the post!

What you\'ve described is for deleting an entry. If you can visualize this, you\'ve mentioned deleting a \'row\' (or editing). I want to delete the content in a \'column\'.

To further clarify, there are approximate 1860 products (rows) and 27 fields (columns). I want to delete the information in field #27 for all 1860 products.

Ahh, I see. I\'m sure you\'ve probably got this from someone else already, but here goes. Under the \'structure\' section, you should just be able to put a check next to the field that you don\'t want anymore and go to the with selected and push \'drop\' which is right next to \'change\'. It will get rid of that field for you.

• 3 weeks later...

We ran this query and it removed everything from that particular field:

UPDATE table_name SET product_shipemail=\'\'

(replace \'table_name\' with the actual name)

We wanted to remove the data in the \'product_shipemail\' and leave it blank. If we placed text in between the two \' \' marks then it would\'ve replaced what was there with the new stuff.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.