Web designers salaries

dlaroche

I'm currently going to college for Computer Science and am leaning towards web design.  However, I would like input from others that have a degree and perform web design work. My main question is: how much do you make doing web design? I have looked at other information on the web such as the Job Outlook Handbook, but that is all statistical information, and I would just like to hear from others for in the field data ( $$$$ ).

So post your location and how much you make a year. Other info that would be helpful is how easy it is to find a job in the web design field in your area.

Thanks in advance!!

I think most people do freelance work here so it is hard to figure out a salary. There is money to be had if you get the right clients, but I've seen some full-time developer jobs that are usually between 40-50k, which really isn't that much.

I'll second that. Doing strictly web design isn't going to get you a high paying salary. I did a lot of intranet stuff at my last job, but that was only about half my job. So it doesn't make much sense to post my salary.  You're better off trying to land a job that requires some web development as part of it.  Or land a job doing something else and then work your way into using the intranet or the company website to do your work.

i'm just going to point out that statistical data is probably just a more reliable version of what someone else will tell you they make.  every single salary is circumstantial, as each person has a unique set of skills and employment history.  salary is often commensurate with experience, and depends a lot on the company you work for (whether it's big, specialized, has priorities other than money, etc.).

I think most web work is done via contracted positions because most companies don't have a need for a permanent web developer.  If you're looking for a permanent position, I think you'll need to work at a large company that has lots of web-related mini-projects or any position working on a web application.

These threads spring up every once in a while and the results vary on a few factors.  The type of work (design vs. experience vs. database programming vs. something else) and location.  I make decent salary, more than most starting web developers IMO, but I live in southern California where the cost of living is fairly high so I feel like I never really have any money.

I guess if you take my salary ($40k) it's not bad though web development isn't my only task here at work ;)

I do a mix of alot of things. Web development, windows programing, IT administration, dog walking.... the list goes on.  But its time for a 20% increase in wage I think because I've been here for 3.5yrs without an increase and I have done alot for this company.....

I agree with everyone's comments so far. The "Web" business has a lot to do with experience and/or your portfolio. The more you have to look at the better off you are. The problem is getting started and getting people to believe in you when you are starting out. Once you get a few under your belt it will be like a snowball rolling down a hill. It took me about 5 years doing web stuff on the side until I was ready to go full time into it. But it has been great so far. It is very rewarding. I'm probably looking to do about $45k-50k this year. Not too bad ;)

Hope this helps you out a little.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.