[SOLVED] CPANEL help

oceans

Dear People,

I am putting my website on a web server for the first time; I am given CPanel (X).

I could understand most of the functions in it, but I need clarification for the following, I could learn by doing trial and error, but I wish not to complicate my relation with the web space provider by massing his (default) setups, without knowing what I am doing. Please help.

(1) What is “Hotlink Protection”?

What should I do, if I DO NOT want any websites to point or use to my pages, files, folders at all. Is it wise if I do this?

(2) What is “Raw Access Log”?

I do not understand the term or the function.

(3) What is “Password Protected Directories”?

I have to mention, I have FILE & FOLDER operations like (creation, renaming, copy, deletions) the respective folders are given respective privilege levels to facilitate the operations. These operations are fully taken care by my PHP codes only.

Thus if I were to Password Protect, will my operations be affected?

(4) What is “Allow anonymous access”?

I DO NOT want any other ftp access other then ME, to put and take out the necessary files & folders. How should I configure this portion in CPanel.

Thanks.

Hotlink protection

It is a way of preventing other people from linking directly to some of your files. Images for example. You can prevent other webpages from using images on your site and therefore using your bandwidth instead of their own. Optionally you can display another image instead of the one they requested (goatse (safe to click) for example if you're evil :P).

Raw access log

With this function you can download an access log. It is a log containing informations about each request made to the HTTP server (apache).

Password protected directories

This is just a GUI way of enabling .htaccess password protection of a folder. See: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html

Allow anonymous access (FTP):

This is a matter of whether anonymous FTP users can read from /home/public_ftp and if they can write to /home/public_ftp/incoming. It's fine to leave it as it is by default.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.