New Small Business Site

AV1611

I'd do some work on the nav... drop the images and use more CSS. Or at least pad the top a little so the words are centered vertically.

I also would move the left picture down a line or two. It looks off a little when you only have one line above it.

And lastly, the whole site is kinda bland as far as color. You need something that stands out.

[!--quoteo(post=358941:date=Mar 27 2006, 11:42 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 27 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]358941[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'd do some work on the nav... drop the images and use more CSS.

Or at least pad the top a little so the words are centered vertically.
// I'll pad the words so they center on the buttons better...

I also would move the left picture down a line or two.
// I'll do that too...

It looks off a little when you only have one line above it.

And lastly, the whole site is kinda bland as far as color.
// The two pictures were in color, but I thought they clashed a little.. I'll change them back so you can tell me if it looks better with the color back in them...

Give me some time to change the pics back to color so you can tell me what you think...

You need something that stands out.
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...
I think it needs a little more edge definition.

I would put a 1px black border on the right and left of the main div - it would focus the eye more on the content.

Also - for the images - I would put a 1px black border around the images.

A proper footer div would be good also - and give a little more colour to the bottom.

-steve

You shouldn't really put parts of your code in uppercase then some areas in lowercase as it makes the code look untidy just stick with one or the other. I prefer to have all my code in lowercase and indented. Such as:
[code]<div>
  <p>Hello there</p>
  <h1>blah blah</h1>
  <p>what you doing?<br />
    I'm fine you?<br />
    Not too bad myself!
  </p>

<div>
    Hello
    <div>Something else</div>
  </div>
</div>[/code]

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]BTW: Mober, are you like Obers evil twin??? LOL[/quote]LMAO of with that great comment.

[!--quoteo(post=363651:date=Apr 11 2006, 09:53 AM:name=AV1611)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(AV1611 @ Apr 11 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]363651[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Help me understand:

Is the mix of upper and lower case in code, other than being lazy, a problem for any particular browser? or is it just "good practice" issue?[/quote]

Standards, standards, standards ... XHTML documents must use lower case for all HTML element and attribute names.

Mobe, you win, I'll be sure to keep small case whenever possible, and thanks for pointing that out. Ober, thanks for the good laugh at the cost of your impecable name. thanks everyone else, too!

BTW, does anyone else agree with Mobe's comment:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The text of your upper nav is hard to read on those images.
[/quote]

I thought the looked good, but I'm biased LOL...

I do agree that the main nav is hard to read with those images. You may want to tone them down a bit or swap them out for something else.

And moberemk, after all the things people have said negatively about me here, I'm not sure you want to be associated with me ;-)

[!--quoteo(post=364533:date=Apr 13 2006, 08:39 PM:name=AV1611)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(AV1611 @ Apr 13 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]364533[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I am usually a good judge of ugly, they just don't seem ugly to me... is it the color contrast?
[/quote]

i wouldnt say ugly. more 'confused'. on one hand, they're nearly simple, on the other hand they're nearly 'polished'. but because they're neither one nor the other, it just dont look right. either polish them up (cleaner 3D effect) or strip them right back to nice, simple and clean CSS rollovers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.