Map Making

proxximo

I am smack dab in the middle of a project that I have been working on for about a year now and it is time to take on the one part of the project I have been dreading. THE MAP! I am in need of some advice. What I need to happen is as follows:

The project is an online RPG. And the map is a mojor part of the actual game play so I really need to get started on it ASAP.

I need to be able to name areas of the map (example: forest, mountains, etc.) so that I can pull a list of creatures based on that area of the map. Here is where I run into the problem. I am not sure how to go about it at all except to go through every single set of coordinates on the map and name them individually. Im hoping there is a MUCH simpler and perhaps more efficient way to do this. If anyone has any suggestions or experience that would help i would be extremely greatful!

You can email me at bobafettdave7@yahoo.com or just post a reply here. Thanks a ton for any information ahead of time

Proxximo

Still looking for some help on this. The only thing i could think of is doing an array of some kind, but im not sure how to pick out groups of coordinates from the array in order to achieve the result im looking for. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Proxximo

[!--quoteo(post=359230:date=Mar 28 2006, 06:47 AM:name=Barand)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Barand @ Mar 28 2006, 06:47 AM) [snapback]359230[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Check out HTML image maps. Lets you define individual rectangular, circular or polygonal regions in an image.
[/quote]

The image map function is not exactly the effect that I am looking for unfortunately. But thank you for the suggestion Barand! The only way for a player to move through the map is to use a compass navigation to move one coordinate at a time. (Example) They are at coordinate 0,0 they move north via the navigation, and they are now at 1,0.

So what I am needing to happen is being able to describe each coordinate an easy way if possible. Im trying to find a way to do this without going through each set of coordinates and naming them individually.

If any more clarification is needed please let me know. Thanks

Proxximo

LOL I swear I have psychic abilities, everytime I start a project and post it up, someone else posts a problem very similar to what I am doing.

I am building an RPG system at the moment and I am actually producing the code for the map at the moment.

My system uses tile references instead of a compass though but I am having a problem with getting the array to work correctly (which builds the map).

Is your system stand alone or is it part of someother online software (like phpnuke, IPB, vBulletin) etc?

[!--quoteo(post=359820:date=Mar 29 2006, 04:09 PM:name=Cep)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Cep @ Mar 29 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]359820[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
LOL I swear I have psychic abilities, everytime I start a project and post it up, someone else posts a problem very similar to what I am doing.

I am building an RPG system at the moment and I am actually producing the code for the map at the moment.

My system uses tile references instead of a compass though but I am having a problem with getting the array to work correctly (which builds the map).

Is your system stand alone or is it part of someother online software (like phpnuke, IPB, vBulletin) etc?
[/quote]

Its a standalone system, hopefully we can find some help! lol

Well maybe we can help each other.

Here is [a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89631\" target=\"_blank\"]My Help thread[/a]

Basically I am building a 5x5 tile map (which can have any range of tiles for the world map as long as they are even sides 10x10, 50x50 etc.) Then I plan to create an object map which will appear over the location map using CSS positioning.

At the moment I am trying to output the information which will create the img element but I am running into problems where the array in the foreach loop is returning the incorrect information.

If you think you can see why I'd be happy to share my work so far.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.