Recommended/best forums systems

thiswayup

Hi all

i'm starting a website soon about meeting and playing games. I am in the process of thinking about which forum system to choose. I am thinking about using the forum system as a way to hold login info on users and other users game info but I also want to put in extra functionlity such as:

- Adding reviews

- Auto generate a forum post

- Setting up a time for an online play session.

- Linking to flickr

- linking to facebook?

Essentially I am interested in using a forum system that has good integration or framwork for building mods. I have noticed that SMF and phpBB seem to be really popular. I would use a CMS but don't want to be tied down to it and want to start with the basic forum then extend it/customise it later.

If anyone could comment, point us to blogs, tutorials or provide some other pointers, I'll be eternally grateful! I'm trying to get back into my php programming again and dont mind a little bit of code grinding but still a bit of a novice!

thanks in advance! ;D

I haven't really been looking at the latest BB's in a while but it seems like it would be more beneficial to create your own. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find anything that does what you want. If you make your own you will atleast know what you will be getting and how to use it. Plus everyone here is more then willing to help you.

...just a thought :)

Hi all

i'm starting a website soon about meeting and playing games. I am in the process of thinking about which forum system to choose. I am thinking about using the forum system as a way to hold login info on users and other users game info but I also want to put in extra functionlity such as:

- Adding reviews

- Auto generate a forum post

- Setting up a time for an online play session.

- Linking to flickr

- linking to facebook?

Essentially I am interested in using a forum system that has good integration or framwork for building mods. I have noticed that SMF and phpBB seem to be really popular. I would use a CMS but don't want to be tied down to it and want to start with the basic forum then extend it/customise it later.

If anyone could comment, point us to blogs, tutorials or provide some other pointers, I'll be eternally grateful! I'm trying to get back into my php programming again and dont mind a little bit of code grinding but still a bit of a novice!

thanks in advance! ;D

SMF's integration hooks make it easy to integrate other software with the forum :)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=173483.0

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.