Anyone can explain the big swing of PHP usage?

sojump

Usage Stats for April 2007

PHP: 20,016,421 domains, 1,208,663 IP addresses

Source: Netcraft

phpstats-200704.png

Question 1: the first peak was at somewhere Sep 2005, then there was a major decrease. maybe the decrease was because of the saturation? any better idea?

Question 2: in Sep 2006, there was suddenly another peak came up from no where? why is that? was it because a certain version released? and there was a rapid decrease right after that? what was that about then? it looks like the whole thing happend in 2,3 months.

Humm

wow the Topic is Interested .

Now we have the graph for PHP domains and IPS.

If we can find the Graph of .NET and JAVA then we can guess the some good reason...

I guess pepople like opensourceness everthing is free.

and may be strategy got changed ,, may be because of features of ASP.net etc...

what u people thing

Please let me know

Regards

Sushant

I am sure the spike in 06 was caused by PHP 5. But for the most part the reason is as explained, php4 came out and it sky rocketed from there. PHP 3 really was a joke, with the development of the Zend engine they brought PHP a long ways.

check http://www.webmasterworld.com/php/3072892.htm out, gents

expose_php = off thing might cause the decline, but i am wondering are there enough people doing that to make the decline so rapid?

I am sure the spike in 06 was caused by PHP 5. But for the most part the reason is as explained, php4 came out and it sky rocketed from there. PHP 3 really was a joke, with the development of the Zend engine they brought PHP a long ways.

according to the monthly survey by nexen.net, the usage of PHP 5 was climbing in late 06, but it was like 1% per month, and the overall PHP usage on Internet was steady at 34%-35% that time. in addition, if the spike was becasued of PHP5, what made it drop so fast?

check http://www.webmasterworld.com/php/3072892.htm out, gents

expose_php = off thing might cause the decline, but i am wondering are there enough people doing that to make the decline so rapid?

according to the monthly survey by nexen.net, the usage of PHP 5 was climbing in late 06, but it was like 1% per month, and the overall PHP usage on Internet was steady at 34%-35% that time. in addition, if the spike was becasued of PHP5, what made it drop so fast?

If it was cause of php5, incompatibility with current scripts could of made the drop happen.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.