handling attachments on the server

redbullmarky

Hi all

I'm developing a back-end recruitment package, and one of the features is the ability to attach a CV file (DOC, RTF, TXT, etc) to a persons record. This bit I can do, as well as the handling of the downloads, etc.

What I want to know - is it possible to automate the process if someone wants to alter these files directly. The process at the moment is:

1, click the file to download
2, user edits the file
3, user has to re-upload the file to replace the one on the server.

what i'm aiming for is the ability to edit the file and have it automatically update the version on the server, much the same as if the file was on someones desktop.

is this possible at all?

Cheers
Mark

This is only an idear.

if you was to download a free doument editor and placed it in a seprate file.

Then when the user wants to edit there cv they press a link edit cv and the free editor .exe excecutes and let them edit there doc.

good arnt i lol

good luck.

[!--quoteo(post=358864:date=Mar 27 2006, 01:56 PM:name=redarrow)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(redarrow @ Mar 27 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]358864[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
good arnt i lol
[/quote]

lol i've actually considered an online document editor but there can be no room for error - and whilst i'm not a microsoft fan, i'm not gonna knock the fact that MS Word is definitely the weapon of choice for my end users to edit the documents.

Cheers though

[!--quoteo(post=358927:date=Mar 27 2006, 05:03 PM:name=shocker-z)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(shocker-z @ Mar 27 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]358927[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
wysiwyg sounds like an editor that should do what your wanting..
[/quote]

it is, but wysiwyg is very fickle depending on the browser, and most recruitment companies i have worked in generally ALWAYS use word. getting them to change their ways and methods could pose quite tricky, so i'm looking for ways around it.

again, as with my previous problem, it must be as easy for my users as possible. expecting them to download, update and then re-upload is a tall order, so i need to make things as simple as possible. even if, in windows, it's possible to use PHP to force a Windows Explorer folder to open showing the FTP site where the CV's are kept.

Just keen to get thoughts of anyone that's tried anything like this before...

Cheers shocker

I know you're going to hate me even saying this, but this is why a lot of places like that require that you copy and paste the information into their own forms and then they can store it and allow you to edit it that way. There aren't many good editors that will work nicely with all the file formats that you're going to come in contact with.

However in most cases, if I wanted to edit a document that I had on your server, I'd just pull out my old copy, edit it, and upload it again, replacing the current one.

[!--quoteo(post=358949:date=Mar 27 2006, 05:57 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 27 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]358949[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
However in most cases, if I wanted to edit a document that I had on your server, I'd just pull out my old copy, edit it, and upload it again, replacing the current one.
[/quote]

hi ober
I'm beginning to realise that, apart from going down the WYSIWYG road as has been suggested, that this is going to be the only way around it, unless in the meantime someone discovers something as useful as AJAX has been that has been there all along...

Still. I managed to sort my other problem out by being a stubborn git, so I've not given up just yet. If there are any more possible solutions to consider tho, I'd be very grateful to hear them, as ultimately it's going to be the simplest (for the end user) solution that wins.

Cheers
Mark

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.