Real World PHP

stemp

This may sound like a stupid question but I need to know.  I currently work in a small design studio where I'm the only one who knows how to design/develop websites. I've been working in PHP, mySQL, CSS, Javascript etc... for a few years now and have built some, what I would think to be some advanced sites. I'm looking to change jobs now and I want to know if anyone still refer to books when coding. No matter how long I've been developing websites I always find a need to refer to a book or online for one thing or another that I need help on.

Also, I still code everything my hand. Is there a certain RAD application that is used in the "real world" like ZEND or something I would need to get familiar with.

I just don't want to look like a newbie if/when I get a new job.

best thing to do is ask questions about the company during the interview and study before you get the job.  before my job i asked what standards they usesd, what versions of php and mysql they were on, and what platform they used.  I then based on those answer ebgaan studying php 4 , mysql 4, zend, and centos.  Im doing just fine.

I've been into web design and development for almost 11 years now, the last 4 of those years as a profession and I still refer to the PHP manual on an almost daily basis, yesterday in fact, I had to use Google to refresh my memory on how RegEx works in JavaScript, every so often I search for CSS properties to refresh the memory, I ask for help on the forums when I'm wanting to optimise my SQL queries. I've even recently bought a book on AJAX, and OOP as I only know the basics of each and want to know more.

I think I'm getting to the point that there is always something more to learn. Reference books are there to make you a bit more efficient, if anything. The PHP manual can be seen as reference material. I'm sure an employer would prefer it if you quickly looked up something in a book than searching Google for an hour...

I don't use any special application to build my stuff, I just use Bluefish. Anything with line numbers and syntax highlighting does me fine.

I refer to online documentation and google on a daily basis which, IMO, is better than someone who doesn't.  The 30 seconds I spend in the PHP manual going, "Is there already a function that does this?" is better than the other programmer who spends 10 minutes writing a custom function and then an accumulative hour debugging it over time.

(EDIT) I think it was Einstein who inquired why should we remember anything we can write down.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.