MySQL and Search Engines

Napper

Hello again,

I am pleased to report that I finally managed to get this whole MySQL thing going - also thanks to this page and its tutorials. I am working on a small catalogue-like web page now (I am saying catalogue-like because you cannot actually order anything from it, you can just view items). Either way, after running a few test pages I realized that I will (given proper variable use and database setup) not need too many actual pages to program this site, since all of the content can be stored in tables. However, this brought me to the question of how people are going to actually find the information? If I have one or two entrence points to the page than I can pass on variables, etc. to create views to the items asked for but what about stuff like search engines (google for example). How will they know that I have that-and-that product in my catalogue since the pure HTML page does not actually exist? I hope somebody can shet some light on this issue for me.

Reg.

Napper

Okay - maybe I have already figured it out myself. Do search engines in general follow whatever link there is, lets say on the starting page, and then read the information of the site. Meaning, do search engines recognize links of the format

http://www.domain.com/shop/category.php?ca...tegory_id=test1

as being a different site as

http://www.domain.com/shop/category.php?ca...tegory_id=test2

and if so, do they index them?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.