CHMOD to 777 - ???

Mouse

CHMOD to 777 - ???

I have read the PHP manual on this but it is not 100% clear to me. I see on some scripts “set File_name CHMOD to 777” erm, what? How do I do this and more to the point why????

Many thanks

Mouse

CHMOD sets perssions which can restrain users from doing certains things on your files/folders. Therer are three groups which are Owner, Group and Public

Each groups has three settings which are Read, Write and Execute. The defualt perssions for your files is usually 0644. You can set these permissions in your FTP client after you have uploaded your files to the server. Once uploaded depending on your FTP client right click on the file and select Properties or Perssions from the menu. A small box should popup and a perssions table should be shown with tickboxes for each read, execute and write settings in each group. If you tick all the read, write and execute tickboxes in all three groups that wil set your file permissions to CHMOD 0777.

CHMOD is a much more advanced file permission handler than WIndows persions which is just one setting Read-Only!

[!--quoteo(post=359189:date=Mar 28 2006, 10:13 AM:name=wildteen88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wildteen88 @ Mar 28 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]359189[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
CHMOD sets perssions which can restrain users from doing certains things on your files/folders. Therer are three groups which are Owner, Group and Public

Each groups has three settings which are Read, Write and Execute. The defualt perssions for your files is usually 0644. You can set these permissions in your FTP client after you have uploaded your files to the server. Once uploaded depending on your FTP client right click on the file and select Properties or Perssions from the menu. A small box should popup and a perssions table should be shown with tickboxes for each read, execute and write settings in each group. If you tick all the read, write and execute tickboxes in all three groups that wil set your file permissions to CHMOD 0777.

CHMOD is a much more advanced file permission handler than WIndows persions which is just one setting Read-Only!
[/quote]

So why didn't they just say that then???

Many thanks

Mouse

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.