1&1 Hosting: Are they any good?

Guardian-Mage

1&1 has a reputation for being one of the worst hosts in the industry. Avoid them at all costs.

One of the biggest issues is that they're overselling - there is absolutely no way they can afford to offer 300GB of space and 3TB of bandwidth for $20 a month - the largest hard drive I can find online is 3TB (3000GB) - and that costs $6000. If you do a little googling, you'll find all kinds of horror stories about poor customer service, unannounced changes, etc. I know someone who was hosted with them years ago. It got to the point where the entire site would go down with "CPU Limits Exceeded" errors as soon as there were 10 users online (the forum was integrated with the site). I finally convinced him to move away from 1and1, and he hasn't run into that problem at all since then - even though the forum is much busier now than it was at the time.

1&1 bashing is great fun, which may be one of the reasons people do so much of it.  I've been a 1&1 customer for about 4 years, on the "Developer" plan (sort of--I’m grandfathered in on a promotional deal from way back when). 

The main problem is customer service: there is effectively none.  I've tried their chat support and telephone and there's a very real sense you're dealing with a robot.  In terms of technology, they can never help you with anything you couldn't find in the FAQ yourself.  And when it comes to account service, they're unapologetic--whatever happens, happens.  If they cancel a domain because your credit card expired, or you're on an old server so the latest and greatest feature isn't available, they simply won't help you.  There is no escalation available, so you're stuck dealing with the first person you contact.  Often this has resulted in me being told that if I'm not happy with the result of the call I should cancel my account.  There simply is no connection between the people in customer support and anyone who might remotely care about keeping your business.  Most people I know who have had any customer service experience with the company have left.

On the other hand, they can be a really good deal, which is why I've stayed.  I use a pretty significant percentage of my available space, and employ some pretty CPU-taxing scripts--I've installed ImageMagick, SVN (over ssh, it’s a pain), Mantis, and of course a lot of custom code--and never been throttled.  I’ve even been lazy and done some image manipulation through PHP (GD2), which is a total memory and CPU suck, and not felt any repercussions.  My sites are not mission-critical, however, so I haven't tracked total up-time or any other reliability stats. 

If there was a another service that offered the same feature set and capacity in the same price range, I'd be tempted to switch, but so far I haven't found that.  And as many nightmare stories as I've heard about 1&1, I've heard more about other big hosting companies.  GoDaddy in particular has caused major heartaches for some of my acquaintances.  And I’m not comfortable going with some no-name company who is most likely reselling someone else’s hosting anyway.  So I'm not sure there's any perfect cheap solution out there.  If you do find hosting nirvana, please let me know!

I used them once and there rubbish. Personally i think the host im using now is great http://www.exploit-hosting.com

cPanel 11:

Lots of space cheap

Unlimited in everything else

and PHP 4 (well i think so not sure)

I wouldn't trust a company called "Exploit Hosting".

I was happy with Hostway for the 1.5 years I was with them. Right now I am giving Media Temple a chance, and it is going very well.

I'll tell you something about 1&1.com. I went on their website and found the best domain. It was opened and was about to buy it! I gave it two days to reconsider and rethink my decision, and then boom! I come back and check it out and its taken! Lesson learned: 1&1 sells great open domain searches that sound good to other ppl.

What is the chance that a person thought of the same domain as me within 2 days and bought it, when it was untaken for the past 10 years on the web???

I emailed them and asked about their fraud, and I got a very angry customer service guy who was about to explode! He was like "who do you take me for? a promisicous guy?"

I use godaddy.com . But, I never tried any other company so don't ask me.  :P

I'll tell you something about 1&1.com. I went on their website and found the best domain. It was opened and was about to buy it! I gave it two days to reconsider and rethink my decision, and then boom! I come back and check it out and its taken! Lesson learned: 1&1 sells great open domain searches that sound good to other ppl.

What is the chance that a person thought of the same domain as me within 2 days and bought it, when it was untaken for the past 10 years on the web???

i had the same experience with 1&1. ive had dedicated servers with them a couple times and they run great, but if you do run into a problem, don't expect much for support. everyone is foreign and hard to understand, and they dont understand what you're saying 3/4 of the time. plus they dont seem very well trained and have to look up answers to the simplest mind numbing questions. but overall, their prices are great and their servers run decent for the cost.

Just go with webhostfreaks.com or serverpowered.com.  Not only do the proceeds go to PHPFreaks, but I use them for everything and I LOVE them.  I even put my clients on their servers. I had a client about a month ago on Godaddy and had them cancel their month to month payment and move to webhostfreaks.

When I wrote my first site a friend recommended Web Host Freaks so I signed up there.  That site is still up and still hosted by WHF, although I no longer manage it.  I do host my personal site (in my sig) with them.  For both of those sites I never had much need for technical support but up-time has always been good.

For work we needed more control over our server so I moved us to a VPS with Server Powered and the uptime and service has been great.  I actually developed in our live site for quite some time before I convinced my boss it was time to have a development server; when it came time to set one up I went with Server Powered again.

Never had a problem with them.  Unless an unfortunate incident arises or they just don't fit the requirement, I plan to use them for any and all of my hosting.

I too have bounced around the web looking for a good host and plan. I've tried StartLogic for a year and they were ok. Right now I'm with hostmonster When I signed up I got 200GB of space, 2TB of transfer. I can edit my php.ini file, 100 MySQL DBases and the list goes on. I can't really say any thing about the support, namely because I haven't had the need to contact them yet. I have 2 domains and a few sub domain and so far so good. I would recommend them to any one.

Right now I see you can get 300GB Storage 3TB transfer for $6 a month. (I bought my plan for a year. All up front)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.