parsing strings

hellonoko

I need to go through a list of words and find ones with certain letters in the last two places.

I know how to code this but am not sure of what str functions I would use.

I am looking around a little in the PHP manual can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also my host does not support the php5 fuction stream_get_contents()

What would be an alternative function for getting the contects of a HTML page and processing them in my php page.

Thanks in advance.

How is your list of words setup? Is it an array? Is it all in a string? I'd use the substr() function to look at the words and determine if it matches your pattern.

I would use fopen() for that, but I'm going to guess that you're not allowed to use that function either... but maybe.

[!--quoteo(post=359281:date=Mar 28 2006, 10:08 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 28 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]359281[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
How is your list of words setup? Is it an array? Is it all in a string? I'd use the substr() function to look at the words and determine if it matches your pattern.

I would use fopen() for that, but I'm going to guess that you're not allowed to use that function either... but maybe.
[/quote]

the list of word will be put into an array.

does fopen() work for remote files and urls as well as files on the server?

[!--quoteo(post=359286:date=Mar 28 2006, 10:16 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 28 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]359286[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[code]<?php
for($i = 0; $i < count($myarray); $i++)
{
     if(substr($myarray[i], -2) == 'ab')
          // do something
} [/code]

And yes, fopen() opens both remote and local files.
[/quote]

when i use fopen() to open a URL i get only:

Resource id #4

I asume it is opening the page but not putting the acctually contents into my varriable.

[!--quoteo(post=359315:date=Mar 28 2006, 11:42 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 28 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]359315[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Exactly. That's because fopen() returns a file handle number. You need to use fread() to actually read the contents of the file.

You could also use fgets() in a loop.
[/quote]

i had to use file_get_contents()

but i got it working.

thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.