Understanding PHP/MySQL relationships & the posiblities

titangf

First off... This site [b]ROCKS[/b]! [i]Kudos to everyone that makes it such a nice place...[/i]

I'll be the first to admit it... [i]I'm a noobie[/i] at all this, but I have been able to solve my own little PHP/MySQL issues even if they take me some time. I know that this is a great site... that's why I joined, [i]but there are times where I don't want to be infront of my computer[/i].

I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations as to ([b]worthwhile[/b]) reading material for a beginners/moderate level user of PHP and MySQL/database interactions. I know that many of us are getting started, but need that first or second step to get a better grasp of what's going on... [u]that's the reason for this post.[/u]

Right now I've been working from these two books and web sources only. (sorry but I do believe that one or both of these are out of print, but they are awesome books)

1) Professional PHP 4 XML - ISBN 1-86100-721-3
2) Database Design for Mere Mortals (2nd edition) - ISBN 0-201-75284-0

Wanted to get your input on which books should be an absolute MUST HAVE (aka Bible -or- rescue manuals, lol)... This is something that I like doing because it makes me ponder what the capiblities could/would/should be for a website and for the next generation in internet evolution. Let me know your thoughts...

Hi

I'm not totally sure why this particular thread is hidden away in the Misc forum, but here you go:

[a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58799\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58799[/a]

There are two 'bibles' that I have used personally:
1- "php and mysql development" by luke welling/laura thomson
2- "DHTML and CSS" by Jason Cranford Teague.

whilst the last one has naff all to do with PHP, it really has helped me get my foot in the door with 'dynamic' sites especially new stuff like AJAX. both are simple to understand but neither are patronising or 'beginner' in the way they teach. so whatever level youre at they're extremely good.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.