[SOLVED] Does the help need help?

hcdarkmage

I was going through my problem post the other day and noticed that a lot of people like to look but not touch, and I started to think that maybe my problem was bigger than I thought.  It was a simple enough design that, in theory, should work without any hitches.  Phaaa (pfaw, pppth, shaw, whatever).  Apparently the powers that be (my boss) seems to think that a moderately beginning coder can figure out how to make the web downloadable (small joke ;D).

Any how, after coming back to check the replies on my post I notice that it seems like people get either tired or stumped and don't know how to tell you that your problem is bigger than you make it out to be. 

I tell my boss that it is in progress, he tells me to get help from our "company web guru".  So I ask "Guru" for help.  He brushes me off, says, "I'll check it out," and walks his merry little butt back down to his cubical to ignore me.

How is one to learn if one is not willing to teach?

I understand that when you post to forums you are not going to get an answer immediately.  Heck, you may not receive an answer at all.  But if you have a person that is in the same company, labeled as a supposed "guru", that is unwilling to help you solve your problems, what do you do?  I had hoped he would take me under his wing, show me what he was doing and teach me what I did wrong.  Even in school the teachers at least point out the questions you have wrong answers to.

Alas, this is but the rambling of a coder who was dumped into the middle of a never ending battle.  I would like to express my appreciation to the ones who had responded to my problem (though not yet solved), and say that it is an honor to be a part of a forum that understands where you are coming from.  Everyone needs help every now and then, and I hope to be a helpful person and not a hinderer.

Any questions or comments? . . . Class you may now begin your essays . . .

I have found the more you place on your post and the more complex your question gets the less you get answers.

If you have Multi issues start with one then work on to the next one. Because by solving the first it may cause or fix others issues at the same time.

Sometimes information is left out by the user and instead of asking for the information I go on to the next question.

I mainly use this forum at work so my time as well as others is limited, Thus if it cant be solved in a short time span I'm moving on to that next post. But will come back if I have time. (Kids put a stop to home use lol) Reading and trying to understand the post should not take longer then the solution (Or pointing the user in the right direction)

But this is a Great Knowledge Base for information we all just need to query in the right format to find the answe

I have post still unsolved and one the pass week that took 3 - 4 months to solved the last one saved me 1500plus lines of code. So it was wearth the wait. But it was a side project for me.

Some people just either don't want to help or don't have the skills to teach.  It's pretty much that simple.  You have to be a special kind of person to offer assistance with no reward.  That's why probably less than .5% of our members actually answer questions.  It's a select few (and usually a good select few) that will take the time to help the lost.

i've personally always been willing to help, because this is exactly where i got my humble beginnings.  i owe this place a lot, as i'm sure many others who contribute here do.  i agree with ober and add that i think it takes someone dedicated to learning in order to teach, if only to promote learning in turn.  i usually judge whether it seems someone actually wants to learn something or just want a quick fix to their "awesome script!!11!!" before i take the time to answer a question.

it's also a matter of time as jvroth pointed out.  i frequently skip the mega-huge posts and those with a large number of replies because i figure someone else has it handled, or i don't have time to read through the history.

i also think it's a matter of how old the post is.  i usually use the "unread posts since last visit" feature, and seldom make it past the first page.  if your post is old, try bumping it or rephrasing (the latter is more effective i think).  the same goes for the person at your company.  try bodychecking him or phrasing your question with less/more profanity as appropriate.

when all else fails, scream at your monitor.

*writing furiously when the teacher announces that the class may now turn in essays*  .. and that's why I believe world peace is an untenable ambition.  The end.

try bodychecking him or phrasing your question with less/more profanity as appropriate.

LOL.  Body check him into the wall and then stand over him:

"Hey asshole, now that I have your attention there's a problem with the software our company produces and my boss seems to think you can fix it."

I am loving these replies.  It seems that in most cases, a lot of people (myself included) are not sure how to phrase the question in a proper manor to get the replies they want.  In my case "Guru" here does need to get his stuck-up nose out of his . . . *Ahem* . . . sorry, rambling.  The supposed web guru at my company believes that he is above everyone else because he hold who-knows how many degrees.  Plus he is an engineer.  he just doesn't have time for "petty problems."

I like the people in this forum.  If they can help, they will.  If they can't, they don't interfere.  I have been in a forum where they start flame wars if you don't have the answer right away (pathetic and annoying).

Time is a luxury I do have.  My boss can scream all he likes, but if I am not to fix the problem, he can make the "Guru" fix it.  But I ask in these forums because, as a beginner, I would like to grow and see how far I can get helping people and learning on the way.

. . . All right class, pencils down.  The next test will begin after recess.

Plus he is an engineer.

Careful :)

As an engineer myself, I'll point out that the very essence of engineering is problem-solving.  The architect may have the fabulous vision, but it's the engineer that figures out how to build it so it won't fall down, etc., etc.

That said, I'm reasonably tolerant of problems posed where some thought has already gone into it (or even looked in the manual).  Posts where RTFM or Google is your friend are the most appropriate reply deserve everything they get (or don't get). If you can't be bothered to explain, why should I donate my time to helping?  "My code (several hundred lines of DW junk) don't work - help me." isn't going to entice me to even read the post.  I have enough to do without bothering with those sorts of time sink.  Read my answer to your problem, thank me when my solution works, and I'll be glad to help again.  For bonus points, use the CODE tags when you post code.  Piss me off and you'll be on my list of "ignore this idiot" - deservedly so.

As others have posted, this forum is an astounding resource and many of us have it to thank for what we know today about php/MySQL - especially when some kind soul took pity on a noob :)

I do not tend to offend thee, my friend.  But it seems that someone has a bee in their bonnet.
  And if I can ever remember who told me that I will edit the post and give credit where credit is do.

I cannot say that all engineers are like the one I have to deal with.  As a matter of fact, I think engineers are the backbone of everything.  This particular engineer (IMO) should not have the title.  He has a tendency to cause more problems than solve.

I also agree that this forum has helped solve a lot of questions that I have run into during my limited time in coding.  I started looking into this forum when I started (about a year ago) and joined when I thought I understood how I could help.  I also hope that my help is help and not annoyance.  Hey, it happens.

Opinions are like assholes... everyone's got one. - Art Blakey

I started this thread to point out that not every one will receive an answer.  But I do hope that the arrow, when given advice, does not point to hell.  All-in-all, I thank those who respond and try to help those that are willing to learn.  I also thank those who like to learn how to become better coders.

Now class . . . the essay for today is about . . .

I was going through my problem post the other day and noticed that a lot of people like to look but not touch

Presumably you are referring to the "read count" feature on the forum? I always think this gets a bit overestimated I for one often refresh a tab with a topic in to see if there are any new replies, and i dont suppose im the only one.

Also, some of the people watching might well take a look becase it might help them learn. I'll read a topic if it sounds interesting, even if i know i wont be able to contribute. I've learnt an awful lot of php like that.

Ill also agree that its so easy to look at some posts and just not have the willpower to type a response. I personally get most annoyed by those posts where the the creator hasn't bothered to type in readable english,whilst the posters are quite clearly english speaking. If you're not english speaking, i dont mind that your english is bad. After all, my french, german, italian(insert relevant language here) is either terrible(french) or non existant(everything else). However, if you ARE english/american ect, then it really winds me up.

Corr, this has turned into a bit of a rant. Ah wells, nothing like a good rant once in a while.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.