need help with PHP and IP addresses

kengi_ikazuchi

I'll try to make the most sense--

I have a client who has a system database that stores information, but to access those information, the system's firewall requires a known IP address. Since many different users will be accessing those information from different locations, it is ideal for them to log into a web domain(i.e. foo.com), and from there the firewall should pick up foo.com's IP address. The problem I am having is: when users access the system database (which is told to recognize only IP address from foo.com), the firewall is picking up the IP from the user's local machine/router instead.
Here's how i have my setup:

User logs in foo.com->clicks a link->link sends URLencode to the system

simple as that. The link is coming from foo.com. How come the firewall isn't accepting foo.com's IP address and reading the local user's IP address instead? Is there a way to solve this problem? A technician told me CGI script will be the answer, but i havent found anything.

sorry if its confusing. If you have any answers or suggestions, let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[!--quoteo(post=359512:date=Mar 28 2006, 09:03 PM:name=kengi_ikazuchi)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(kengi_ikazuchi @ Mar 28 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]359512[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The link is coming from foo.com.
[/quote]

No, the referral is coming from foo.com, the user is following a link on foo.com's webpage, and therefor it is still the user, and the user's ip, that are visiting foo.com.

Use the file commands, cURL, or sockets to connect from server to server and retrieve the information you are needing.

Either that or have some words with your SA, and have him/her/them give access to your entire subdomain.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.