How exactly do I install the GD library?

Hey, question's in the title really. I have already downloaded a zip file containing the files, but I have no idea what to do with it. I've never installed any PHP packages and i've been searching the internet and I can't find any tutorials on how to do it. Any help is very much appreciated :). Thanks.

[!--quoteo(post=359747:date=Mar 29 2006, 12:57 PM:name=weenoid)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(weenoid @ Mar 29 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]359747[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Nope, nothing of the sort.
[/quote]

GD comes built into PHP (the newer versions of it)
you just have to enable it's extension in your php.ini. Then restart Apache.

the line looks something like:
;extension=php_gd2.dll

change it to:
extension=php_gd2.dll

Are you're on a shared hosting or are on you installed PHP/Apache on your PC?

If you're on a shared hosting account then you wont be able to modify the php.ini, however you could ask your host to enable it for you.

However if you have installed it localy then you can eidt your php.ini file. in order to find out where your php.ini is located run the following script on your server:
[code]<?php

//make sure you remove the . between the p and the h before running this script!
p.hpinfo();

?>[/code]When you run that it should a lot of info about PHP and your server. Look for the line [ir]Configuration File (php.ini) Path[/i] which should be located about 5 or so lines from the to. Next to that should be the full path to your PHP.ini file.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.