PHP Help vs PHP Newbie Help

Hi all

I've been using this site for a while now and I'm generally wondering what the REAL difference between the PHP Help and the PHP Newbie Help forum is?

Very often i see questions in PHP Help such as:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]how do you add 3+4 in PHP? I only started this week so have no idea.

is there any benefits anymore of having these two forums seperate?

Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle or something...

Cheers

Mark

The two forums should be consolidated or we should sit down and teach all the newbies the definition of the word newbie. I think it is one of two things happening.

1) The person looks down the list and never sees PHP Newbie Help. They stop at the first one their question seems to fit into and they click.

2) The person does not know what Newbie means or they do not know that their question fits into that category. As crazy as that may seem to those who have a very solid grasp of the language, think for a moment about the people that don't know PHP is a server side scripting language. Think about the people that think because they wrote a PHP script, emphasis on the word script here, they think they are programmers. Think about the people that use horrible syntax and don't know that it is bad. They are fledgling scripters who do not begin to g the full extent of the language. To some of them 3+4 may be the extent of the language. They may not know that it can do much more than that.

one more thing - aimed at the mods more than anything - there's a pinned topic in PHP Help: "DO YOU HAVE PHP SESSION PROBLEMS?".

as this covers all/most of the main stuff to do with Header errors too, can the name be changed to something like: DO YOU HAVE PHP SESSION/HEADER PROBLEMS?

cos there's swarms of posts now appearing about 'headers already sent' etc. not to mention the excuse 'oh, i didn't see it' when asking about header errors. ok so the board guidlines say something like 'ignorance is not a defence' (as well as 'search for a topic before you post') but it still happens all the time, and moreso recently...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.