long term project

jcombs_31

I posted the beginning stages of this quite some time ago.

http://www.bcastropics.com/v2/

It has come quite a long way.  There are still things to be done.  I have to finish up the shopping cart, but the basic functionality is in place.  The class is written I just have implement more of it.  The images will now have a commenting system with them.

Whoa. That's just plain cool. The use of stellar images is beautiful, and really help bring this site to life. Aside from the footer links not working, this is just plain cool. I don't understand the shopping cart though-what use would that serve for an astronomy hobby site? Will you be selling equipment or imagery?

A few things:

Error's for comments are broken in IE6:

http://www.burkesys.com/~sburke/phpfreaks/bcast.jpg

You allow html in your comments. E.g. h1 tag. Also you dont escape quotes:

http://www.burkesys.com/~sburke/phpfreaks/bcast2.jpg

Your "latest news" section also has two unescaped quotes.

Also - re. shipping.

You might want to rethink your shipping and handling costs. Its the same for 1 copy as for 500 copies. The latter would cost a bit more to post.

Also, Id like to see more of a shopping cart presense. Perhaps a Menu Item called "Shopping Cart" would be better IMO.

Anyways, of course your design is second to none. Just a few minor things above.

-steve

Thanks for pointing those things out steviewdr.  I need to filter out the comment system more and fix that IE issue.  I barely test IE6 anymore since I upgraded to IE7, I knew I should have just left it.

I agree on shipping, this is something i will discuss with him.  As far as the shopping cart presence, he would prefer it stays a bit low key.

As far as the shopping cart presence, he would prefer it stays a bit low key.

Fair enough. I can see his point.

How about putting a "checkout" tab/icon on the main Navigation once they have clicked on something etc.

Its just I nearly missed the "2 items ($9.90)" on the very top right before I left the website.

On leaving the website, would it be too cheeky to have a javascript popup ONLY when they click away from teh site asking if they want to: checkout | save basket | exit  :)

-steve

The basket gets saved in a cookie for 4 hours.  I think if the user wants to purchase a print they will realize that they added an item to the shopping cart. In just about every site I've ever bought from the cart is in the upper right corner. You can click on the icon to bring you to your shopping cart and click checkout from there.  I think a popup telling the user about their shopping cart would just be annoying and intrusive.

Fair enough re. the Cart. Sure if they click "add to basket" they know they want to buy it.

As for problems - in IE6 (awh no I hear you say!) - on the contact form when errors are mentioned, the red box does not fill to the bottom. See:

http://www.burkesys.com/~sburke/phpfreaks/bcast3.jpg

Other than that, its very good.

I also suppose, you'll be fixing up the footer <a href's:

About | Equipment | Gallery | Store | Observatory | Contact | Terms |

Copyright © 2004 - 2007 Brian Combs | Site Developed by Multimedia Technologies Inc.

and the search also.

-steve

Doh, didn't see the search problem, but I know why.  I'll fix that when I get home later.  I can't quite figure out why IE is mangling the error list bg image. Something I'll play around with more later.  Yes, I'll get those footer links working today as well. I'm still programming some of the backend that makes this site work. Just about everything is data driven.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.