Copywrite code??

carefree

Someone else's code can be classed as yours when hell freezes over. Regardless of how much 'modification' you make to their code, their original copyright to their code holds.

What if the code was re-written but using the same format? Whos code is it

then?

Copyright is copyright. There are no specific rules for PHP and just because PHP as language is open source, then it doesn't mean that things that are created using PHP is open source as well.

There are only some many different ways code can be written from what

I've seen here on phpfreaks. I could be wrong, but the code that

I have seen are similar. How can someone determine what is their

code and what isn't?

I don't think you fully understand, you can't just go copywriting things such as creating a for loop that looks like this:

<?php for($i=0; $i<100; $i++) echo "$i<br />"; ?>

That would be silly, of course there is only a certain number of ways you can do that, I think the question was more about copywriting a large class, framework or whole project more than anything. Like, downloading SMF (this forum software), changing 50 lines and wanting to copywrite it...

How can someone determine what is their

code and what isn't?

By licensing it. Download any open source application written in any language and read the license agreement. Just because something is open source does not mean you can do what you like with it, there are rules.

remember when you are modifying other's scripts you are te patcher / Bug fixer

not the Author of that script.

remember teh central idea and the algorithm is still belngs to him.

if you compleately changed his code 2 questions arises

if you know it so well why did you copied from ?? why didnt you made by your own ??

did you changed everything to prove that your made this script ??

What happens if you just happen to make a PHP script that is very similar or the same as someone else's, without knowing it, and their's is copyrighted?

Its possible only if the code is less than 20 lines.

cause variable names function name can not be same cause you are human beings not a robot . there must be some difference.

If you are making something by coping someone then you can write the item's description in comment in your code if thats an open source and your matter is copirighted by You but you must mention that you have got teh idea from where. if you copy something.

I know it's unlikely for it to happen, I was asking what would happen if it did.

then that person has the option of suing you, but the onus lies with him to prove that your script is a violation of his copyright.  innocent until proven guilty, in most courts of law.

generally, anything worth copyrighting is going to be unique enough that someone else doesn't accidentally write the exact same thing - if someone else can just as easily come up with the exact same idea, algorithm, and execution, then what good is the copyright?

You guys are all wrong. You can't go to court unless the work is submitted to the government and you recieve an official copyright. That is the only way to prove someone stole your copyright.

BUT, the work you make does belong to you, and there is a copyright, but you just can't take someone to court (you can but you will fail)... for copying it unless its offically copyrighted.

You guys are all wrong. You can't go to court unless the work is submitted to the government and you recieve an official copyright. That is the only way to prove someone stole your copyright.

BUT, the work you make does belong to you, and there is a copyright, but you just can't take someone to court (you can but you will fail)... for copying it unless its offically copyrighted.

Complete poppycock. Copyright is automatically assigned when a work is first completed.  You don't need to register with the government. Doing so merely makes it simpler to prove your case.

There is nothing to register with government. in most of the cases you should to choose the licence which relates your Software. and then that product is copyrighted with you under the terms and conditions of that lincence. [sorry for bad english]

• 4 weeks later...

Complete poppycock. Copyright is automatically assigned when a work is first completed.  You don't need to register with the government. Doing so merely makes it simpler to prove your case.

Yes copyright is obtained when your work is done, but if you don't register it with the government there is no way to prove your case. NO you can't say your computer had a saved copy of the file before it was copied and stolen. Don't be stupid. Its the same with movies and digital music, if it's not registered you have no right to go court. You can't prove jack s**t.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.