PHP Help Needed. Is it possible to...

lushboy

Hi,

I have a problem that needs a solution. Not sure if php is the way to go or not, or if it is possible at all.

Problem:

Lets say I own a business and I choose to advertise that business on a tonne of directory sites. Now lets say, for example, my phone number changes, I will then need to login to each and every site to update my phone number. Very time consuming.

I am looking for a way that I could, instead of say entering my phone number on every website, I instead enter a piece of code in place of my phone number that pulls my phone number from a place on my own web site. That way if I update my phone number on my website, all the other websites will also now have the updated phone number as they pull it straight from my web site.

I first thought php may be able to solve this problem for me however being that I don't have control over the other websites (all i am able to do is enter my personal info, not play with their code obviously) I am not sure if I could use php at all to solve this?

Anyone have any ideas? Would be much appreciated...

To solve this problem using your solution, would mean that the sites you're "updating" remotely would have huge security risks associated with the process - instead of a phone number you could put malicious javascript and destroy their web page (even if only it's appearance.)

It is unlikely that any sites would allow you to do it.

I believe that it is possible to update lots of sites at the same time (in the same way that confused.com queries lots of different insurance company websites for quotations), however such a solution would probably be incredibly complex.

I certainly wouldn't like to try it from scratch...

Make it pull the data and put it in an image, write it to the image using imagestring(), then use modrewrite to make the dynamic php image able to be served up as a png or gif image.  Give the image url to people for them to display, that way it is still getting it from your site, and when you change it, anyone using the url you gave them will be updated as well.

Make it pull the data and put it in an image, write it to the image using imagestring(), then use modrewrite to make the dynamic php image able to be served up as a png or gif image.  Give the image url to people for them to display, that way it is still getting it from your site, and when you change it, anyone using the url you gave them will be updated as well.

This would be of no use as the only way I can enter the information is in form field properties...

Store the information in a database, use a php page that will pull the info from the database when the picture is requested, generate a dynamic picture, then use .htaccess to modrewrite the url so it can be a png image.  Give that url to the end users, or the advertisers or whatever and then update the database when needed, the picture will automatically update.

Store the information in a database, use a php page that will pull the info from the database when the picture is requested, generate a dynamic picture, then use .htaccess to modrewrite the url so it can be a png image.  Give that url to the end users, or the advertisers or whatever and then update the database when needed, the picture will automatically update.

Did you even read the op's last reply? All you did was repeat your answer.

To answer your question lushboy... unless you are supplying a link to some form of data under your control then you cannot update information on a third parties site.

I don't understand what he is meaning, "the only way I can enter the information is in form field properties".  Is he storing it in a database?  If he is, is it in his control?  If so then there should be absolutely no problem doing what I say because he has access to the bloody information.

Put a document on your server intitled (adversement.php) Then on all sites you want to advertise put the code

<?php

include ('http://www.yoursite.com/advertise.php');

?>

That way you only need to change the document on your server and since all sites are calling on that servers document once the page gets refreshed the Advertisment will change on all sites to what you want!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.