nexe

hi I have the following tables

Subscribers table

ID | Email

1  | email1@email.com

2  | email2@email.com

3  | email3@email.com

4  | email4@email.com

and a table that hold information about what subscribers are attached to what lists so a subscriber can be assigned to more then one list.

ID | subscriber_id | listid

1  |        3          |  1

2  |        2          |  1

3  |        1          |  1

Now i have the query

select * from subscribers left join sub_lists on subscribers.id = sub_lists.subscribers_id where listid = 1

this all works fine but I'm having trouble working out a query to return all subscribers that are not assigned to a list.

somthing like

select * from subscribers left join sub_lists on subscribers.id = sub_lists.subscribers_id where <subscriber.id not in sub_lists>

???

select * from subscribers
left join sub_lists on subscribers.id = sub_lists.subscribers_id
where sub_lists.subscriber_id is null

There you go :)  You can use any column from the right table when checking for null from a left join .. I use the joining column for convenience.  The reason is that the left join fills in nulls for all columns of the right table when there is no match.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.