4 replies to this topic

#1 theone

theone
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hi Guys.

Not sure if this is where i should post it or under the servers section. The server section titles are all "webserver" thought an as this is a mail server then i figured not.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a free, simple to use SMTP server that i can use for testing my scripts. I use my "localhost" for development however i can't test/develop any "mail" based scripts as i don't have a local smtp server.
I'm sure someone will tell me that there is somewhere in the php.ini file where i can define an external SMTP server. I haven't looked for it myself thought as my email is with gmail and their SMTP is encrypted and requires a password an all that stuff. I just figured it'd be quicker and easier to have a local SMTP server.

Thanks in advance guys,
Dave

P.S. Forgot to mention. It's for Win XP Pro
theone

#2 ToonMariner

ToonMariner
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, UK

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

?????

Surely you service provider has one! I am with blueyonder so i can use smtp.blueyonder.co.uk. If you use outlook or similar you have to set an outgoing smtp server.
follow me on twitter @PHPsycho

#3 theone

theone
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

[!--quoteo(post=360472:date=Mar 31 2006, 03:42 PM:name=ToonMariner)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ToonMariner @ Mar 31 2006, 03:42 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
?????

Surely you service provider has one! I am with blueyonder so i can use smtp.blueyonder.co.uk. If you use outlook or similar you have to set an outgoing smtp server.
[/quote]

I'm with talktalk and they probably do have one but i can't be bothered to setup all that stuff.
It probably requires a password knowing talktalk, lol.

Is that how you do it then?
What should i be looking for in my php.ini file then to set a smtp server other than the default localhost?
theone

#4 ToonMariner

ToonMariner
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, UK

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

Yep.

Just change smtp = localhost to smtp = smtp.talktalk.net

Then all shoudl be well - ou shoudln't need anything else.
follow me on twitter @PHPsycho

#5 theone

theone
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I already found out the smtp server address and sent myself a test email via my email client (thunderbird) about 10 mins ago and its yet to get back. As i said. Talktalk are poor.

Does no one else know of a free, simple, windows smtp server?

Thanks,
Dave
theone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users