Apostrophe's in strings

phrak

I'm sure this has probably been asked a zillion times but the search wasn't too helpful, so please be gentle with the flames.

I'm a complete php newb and I'm running an eve killboard, that takes a killmail, parses it into strings, and uploads the data to a mysql database. The problem is whenever the killmail contains an apostrophe, it is either read incorrectly and then screws up the database entry or it isn't read at all. I know that you have to put a slash in front of the apostrophe, but is there a way to make the parser check the string for apostrophes and then have it put the slash in, or do I have to tell everyone who uses this php ap to put a slash in front of their apostrophes or ignore them altogether?

Try
[code]str_replace("'", "\'", $text);[/code]
That will find any " ' "'s in $text and replace them with " \' ".
There is always addslashes which is the default PHP function (from 3 onwards) to add a slash in front of any ' and " characters. But you have to use stripslashes when you want to display the string.

I include the following code on every page, and for any database queries with form data, apply mysql_real_escape_string to the form variables. You don't need to apply any functions to retrieve from the database, the text in there wil be exactly as you submitted it.

[code]if ( get_magic_quotes_gpc() )
{
   function stripslashes_deep($value)
   {
       $value = is_array($value) ? array_map('stripslashes_deep', $value) : stripslashes($value);
       return $value;
   }
$_POST = stripslashes_deep($_POST);
$_GET = stripslashes_deep($_GET);
$_COOKIE = stripslashes_deep($_COOKIE);
}[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.