Urgent help needed!

Joei

Hey. I\'m new to MySQL, and trying to teach myself from a book. The problem is, i can\'t seem to get it to run properly. I have MySQ 4.0.4 beta running on Windows 98.

The thing is, the book tells me to run WinMySqlAdmin which automatically runs the mysqld-opt server. So i do. Except when the server is running it slows down my comp. and when i try to connect to the server in DOS it just sits there and doesn\'t do anything. I am typing mysql -u j (my username) -p

I then type my password at the prompt which is also j.

I\'ve tried variations of this command. For example - mysql -h localhost -u j -p but still the same.

If i don\'t have the server on, when i try these commands to connect to the server i get the error \"ERROR 2003: Can\'t connect to MySQL server on \'localhost\' (10061)\" which makes sense since the server isn\'t on. but as i said, when the server is on, it just sits there and i get no feedback. and i have tried all the commands which are supposed to write errors to a text file etc - but still nothing. Now if i close the mysqld-opt server i get the error about where it has lost contact with the server during a query which also makes sense.

The strange thing is, i spent hours trying to get this all to work, and then the next day i somehow got it to work in no time. I was connected to the server and everything and there was no sign of slowdown. I could issue the mysql commands and stuff. The thing that\'s strange is, when i asked it to connect to the server, i could have sworn there was no server running so i am bamboozled. I have no idea what it is i am doing wrong. I am really desperate and would appreciate any help on getting the whole thing working correctly so i can teach myself it.

I\'m really desperate here and don\'t know where else to turn. I\'ve read the manual countless times and am getting nowhere.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.