Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveLinger

How to set up my PC as a wireless access point?

Here's the deal. I have a nice wired/wireless Linksys router in my basement, using types B and G. My laptop can get the G signal fine on the second floor, but my B device cannot unless I am downstairs. I have an ethernet port upstairs, so I was hoping I could plug my laptop into the wired connection and connect to my laptop with my B device wirelessly. Any way to do this?

Thanks!

If it's a question of signal, the best solution is to just get a booster antenna for your router. What you're suggesting won't work because the only antenna you have in the laptop is a reciever. You need a transmitter for the B device to pick up the signal from the laptop.

[!--quoteo(post=361936:date=Apr 5 2006, 09:40 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Apr 5 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]361936[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If it's a question of signal, the best solution is to just get a booster antenna for your router. What you're suggesting won't work because the only antenna you have in the laptop is a reciever. You need a transmitter for the B device to pick up the signal from the laptop.
[/quote]

I disagree. I was able to set up my PC to transmit an SSID for itself, and the B device was able to see it but coudln't connect to the internet through it. I might need some program to forward all of the ports through my PC to it. How can my card only be a receiver? it must send to be able to function.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.