Photo

How to set up my PC as a wireless access point?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaveLinger

DaveLinger
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationWV, USA

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:21 AM

Here's the deal. I have a nice wired/wireless Linksys router in my basement, using types B and G. My laptop can get the G signal fine on the second floor, but my B device cannot unless I am downstairs. I have an ethernet port upstairs, so I was hoping I could plug my laptop into the wired connection and connect to my laptop with my B device wirelessly. Any way to do this?

Thanks!
http://www.DaveLinger.com
dave at linger dot com

#2 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:40 PM

If it's a question of signal, the best solution is to just get a booster antenna for your router. What you're suggesting won't work because the only antenna you have in the laptop is a reciever. You need a transmitter for the B device to pick up the signal from the laptop.

Info: PHP Manual

#3 DaveLinger

DaveLinger
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationWV, USA

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:55 AM

[!--quoteo(post=361936:date=Apr 5 2006, 09:40 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Apr 5 2006, 09:40 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If it's a question of signal, the best solution is to just get a booster antenna for your router. What you're suggesting won't work because the only antenna you have in the laptop is a reciever. You need a transmitter for the B device to pick up the signal from the laptop.
[/quote]

I disagree. I was able to set up my PC to transmit an SSID for itself, and the B device was able to see it but coudln't connect to the internet through it. I might need some program to forward all of the ports through my PC to it. How can my card only be a receiver? it must send to be able to function.
http://www.DaveLinger.com
dave at linger dot com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users